Disruption Management for Commercial Aviation
Airlines are constantly facing operational disruptions such as reduced airport capacity because of bad weather or strikes, unexpected aircraft unavailability due to mechanical failures, and delayed or cancelled flights. In view of this, ROADEF organized a worldwide challenge to explore the problems encountered in real world airlines when disruptions happen and find approaches to tackle them. In this paper, a new continuous time aircraft routing model is developed which can minimize aircraft delay cost accurately and efficiently handle all types of disruptions encountered in ROADEF. Applying a new decomposition algorithm, near optimal solutions for aircraft routing can be obtained. A passenger re-accommodation model is solved subsequently using the results from the aircraft routing model as input. Competitive results are obtained applying the proposed approach to instances provided by ROADEF.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 777 Kokusai-cho, Minami Uonuma0-shi, Niigata 949-7277 JAPAN|
Web page: http://www.iuj.ac.jp/research/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrew J. Schaefer & Ellis L. Johnson & Anton J. Kleywegt & George L. Nemhauser, 2005. "Airline Crew Scheduling Under Uncertainty," Transportation Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(3), pages 340-348, August.
- Shangyao Yan & Chung-Gee Lin, 1997. "Airline Scheduling for the Temporary Closure of Airports," Transportation Science, INFORMS, vol. 31(1), pages 72-82, February.
- Kalyan T. Talluri, 1996. "Swapping Applications in a Daily Airline Fleet Assignment," Transportation Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(3), pages 237-248, August.
- Thengvall, Benjamin G. & Yu, Gang & Bard, Jonathan F., 2001. "Multiple fleet aircraft schedule recovery following hub closures," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 289-308, May.
- Jay M. Rosenberger & Ellis L. Johnson & George L. Nemhauser, 2003. "Rerouting Aircraft for Airline Recovery," Transportation Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(4), pages 408-421, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iuj:wpaper:ems_2012_18. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kazumi Imai, Office of Academic Affairs)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.