Anti-poverty effectiveness and efficiency of the Guaranteed Minimum Income Programme in Portugal
The objective of this paper is to estimate the impact of the Portuguese Guaranteed Minimum Income (GMI) Programme on income distribution and to evaluate its effectiveness and efficiency in fighting situations of poverty and social exclusion. We estimate its impact on the distribution of household incomes and poverty as well as the amount of government expenditure necessary to finance the programme. The simulation shows that 4.8% of domestic households and 5.7% of the population are eligible to receive the GMI. The programme has a small but positive impact on reducing inequality. Similarly, analysis of the effectiveness of the GMI in terms of poverty reduction shows that it has a small but positive impact on the poverty rate. However, the most important consequences of the GMI are sharp gains in the measures of poverty intensity and severity. The efficiency indicators associated with the programme show that 85% of the transfers are awarded to poor people and that 82% of the transfers effectively contributes towards reducing the poverty gap.
|Date of creation:||2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://aquila1.iseg.ulisboa.pt/aquila/departamentos/EC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Foster, James & Greer, Joel & Thorbecke, Erik, 1984. "A Class of Decomposable Poverty Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 761-66, May.
- Beckerman, W, 1979. "The Impact of Income Maintenance Payments on Poverty in Britain, 1975," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 89(354), pages 261-79, June.
- Sen, Amartya, 1979. " Issues in the Measurement of Poverty," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 81(2), pages 285-307.
- Moffitt, Robert, 1992. "Incentive Effects of the U.S. Welfare System: A Review," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 30(1), pages 1-61, March.
- Miguel Gouveia & Carlos Farinha Rodrigues, 1999. "The impact of a "Minimum Guaranteed Income Program" in Portugal," Working Papers Department of Economics 1999/03, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Sen, Amartya, 1997. "On Economic Inequality," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198292975, March.
- Carlos Farinha Rodrigues, 1999. "Income distribution and poverty in Portugal (1994/95)," Working Papers Department of Economics 1999/04, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Sadka, Efraim, 1976. "On Income Distribution, Incentive Effects and Optimal Income Taxation," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(2), pages 261-67, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ise:isegwp:wp82001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vitor Escaria)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.