The determinants of R&D Investment: the role of Cash flow and Capabilities
In this paper we have estimated a behavioural equation for R&D investment. We assess the impact of liquidity constraints and capabilities, measured respectively as internal cash flow and distance from the technological frontier. Our estimation is performed on an industry level panel covering fifteen European countries from 1996 to 2005 and on a sample of European R&D performers extracted from COMPUSTAT covering 2000-2008. Both at industry level and firm level we found that financing constraints exist and that the distance from the frontier negatively affects the decision to engage in R&D. We claim that the implied divergence pattern opens a gap for policy intervention, but that these policies should be correctly tailored and should also promote enablers of technological change.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +34 954 48 8318
Fax: +34 954 48 8300
Web page: https://ec.europa.eu/jrc/en/institutes/ipts
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Raquel Ortega-Argilés & Mariacristina Piva & Lesley Potters & Marco Vivarelli, 2010.
"Is Corporate R&D Investment In High-Tech Sectors More Effective?,"
Contemporary Economic Policy,
Western Economic Association International, vol. 28(3), pages 353-365, 07.
- Raquel Ortega-Argilés & Mariacristina Piva & Lesley Potters & Marco Vivarelli, 2009. "Is Corporate R&D Investment in High-Tech Sectors More Effective?," DISCE - Quaderni del Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali dises0955, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Dipartimenti e Istituti di Scienze Economiche (DISCE).
- Bruno Crepon & Emmanuel Duguet & Jacques Mairesse, 1998.
"Research, Innovation And Productivity: An Econometric Analysis At The Firm Level,"
Economics of Innovation and New Technology,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(2), pages 115-158.
- Bruno Crepon & Emmanuel Duguet & Jacques Mairesse, 1998. "Research, Innovation, and Productivity: An Econometric Analysis at the Firm Level," NBER Working Papers 6696, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bruno Crépon & Emmanuel Duguet & Jacques Mairesse, 1998. "Research, Innovation and Productivity : An Econometric Analysis at the Firm Level," Working Papers 98-33, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Xulia González & Jordi Jaumandreu & Consuelo Pazó, 2001.
"Barriers to innovation and subsidy e¤ectiveness,"
0112, Universidade de Vigo, Departamento de Economía Aplicada.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ipt:wpaper:201010. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Institute Publication Officer)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Institute Publication Officer to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.