Distribution and growth in France and Germany - single equation estimations and model simulations based on the Bhaduri/Marglin-model
The authors analyse the relationship between functional income distribution and economic growth in France and Germany from 1960 until 2005. The analysis is based on a demand-driven distribution and growth model for an open economy inspired by Bhaduri/Marglin (1990), which allows for profit- or wage-led growth. First, the authors apply a single equation approach, estimating the effects of redistribution on the demand aggregates and summing up these effects in order to obtain the total effect of redistribution on GDP growth. Since interactions between the demand aggregates are omitted from this approach, the authors also apply a simulation approach taking into account these interactions. In the single equations approach the authors find that growth in France and in Germany was wage-led. This qualitative result is confirmed by the simulation approach, but the quantitative effects differ somewhat. Whereas in the single equation approach the wage-led nature of the demand regime in Germany seems to be more pronounced than in France, in the simulation approach the effects in the two countries seem to converge.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Hans-Böckler-Straße 39, 40476 Düsseldorf|
Phone: +49 211 7778 234
Fax: +49 211 7778 4234
Web page: http://www.imk-boeckler.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blecker, Robert A, 1989. "International Competition, Income Distribution and Economic Growth," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(3), pages 395-412, September.
- Marc Lavoie, 1995.
"Interest Rates In Post-Keynesian Models Of Growth And Distribution,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(2), pages 146-177, 06.
- Lavoie, M., 1993. "Interest Rates in Post-Keynesian Models of Growth and Distribution," Working Papers 9314e, University of Ottawa, Department of Economics.
- Engelbert Stockhammer, 2004.
"Financialisation and the slowdown of accumulation,"
Cambridge Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 28(5), pages 719-741, September.
- Miguel A. LeÛn-Ledesma & A. P. Thirlwall, 2002.
"The endogeneity of the natural rate of growth,"
Cambridge Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 26(4), pages 441-459, July.
- Edward Amadeo, 1987. "Expectations in a steady state model of capacity utilization," Textos para discussão 169, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Amit Bhaduri, 2006. "Endogenous economic growth: a new approach," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 30(1), pages 69-83, January.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- Engelbert Stockhammer, 2006. "Shareholder value orientation and the investment-profit puzzle," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 28(2), pages 193-215, January.
- Eckhard Hein & Lena Vogel, 2007. "Distribution and growth reconsidered - empirical results for Austria, France, Germany, the Netherlands, the UK and the USA," IMK Working Paper 03-2007, IMK at the Hans Boeckler Foundation, Macroeconomic Policy Institute.
- Dutt, Amitava Krishna, 1984. "Stagnation, Income Distribution and Monopoly Power," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 8(1), pages 25-40, March.
- Dutt, Amitava Krishna, 1987. "Alternative Closures Again: A Comment on 'Growth, Distribution and Inflation.'," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(1), pages 75-82, March.
- Till van Treeck, 2007.
"Reconsidering the Investment-Profit Nexus in Finance-Led Economies: an ARDL-Based Approach,"
IMK Working Paper
01-2007, IMK at the Hans Boeckler Foundation, Macroeconomic Policy Institute.
- Till van Treeck, 2008. "Reconsidering The Investment-Profit Nexus In Finance-Led Economies: An Ardl-Based Approach," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(3), pages 371-404, 07.
- Bhaduri, Amit & Marglin, Stephen, 1990. "Unemployment and the Real Wage: The Economic Basis for Contesting Political Ideologies," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 14(4), pages 375-393, December.
- Eckhard Hein & Lena Vogel, 2008. "Distribution and growth reconsidered: empirical results for six OECD countries," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 32(3), pages 479-511, May.
- Amitava Krishna Dutt, 2006. "Aggregate Demand, Aggregate Supply and Economic Growth," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(3), pages 319-336.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imk:wpaper:04-2007. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabine Nemitz)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.