Does Regulation Hurt Pension Funds' Performance? Evidence from Strongly Regulated Pension Fund Industries
This paper presents an analysis of pension funds’ performance in Poland and Hungary as representative Eastern Central European countries. In the theoretical literature it is argued that investment limits and performance regulations may have a negative influence on the performance of funds. In particular for Poland, our empirical findings do not support this prediction. Consequently, strict regulations do not necessarily harm the performance of the pension funds.
|Date of creation:||06 May 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 01|
Phone: 00 353 1 896 3888
Fax: 00 353 1 896 3939
Web page: http://www.tcd.ie/iiis/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lakonishok, Joseph & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1992. "The Structure and Performance of the Money Management Industry," Scholarly Articles 10498059, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Bruce N. Lehmann & David M. Modest, 1985. "Mutual Fund Performance Evaluation: A Comparison of Benchmarks and Benchmark Comparisons," NBER Working Papers 1721, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Prather, Larry J. & Middleton, Karen L., 2006. "Timing and selectivity of mutual fund managers: An empirical test of the behavioral decision-making theory," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 249-273, June.
- Christopherson, Jon A & Ferson, Wayne E & Glassman, Debra A, 1998.
"Conditioning Manager Alphas on Economic Information: Another Look at the Persistence of Performance,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 11(1), pages 111-42.
- Jon A. Christopherson & Wayne E. Ferson & Debra A. Glassman, 1996. "Conditioning Manager Alphas on Economic Information: Another Look at the Persistence of Performance," NBER Working Papers 5830, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Judith Chevalier & Glenn Ellison, 1996.
"Are Some Mutual Funds Managers Better Than Others? Cross-Sectional Patterns in Behavior and Performance,"
NBER Working Papers
5852, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Judith Chevalier & Glenn Ellison, 1999. "Are Some Mutual Fund Managers Better Than Others? Cross-Sectional Patterns in Behavior and Performance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(3), pages 875-899, 06.
- Dariusz Stanko, 2003. "Polish Pension Funds, Does The System Work? Cost, Efficiency and Performance MeasurementIssues," Public Economics 0302001, EconWPA.
- Cesari, Riccardo & Panetta, Fabio, 2002. "The performance of Italian equity funds," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 99-126, January.
- Svitlana Voronkova & Martin T. Bohl, 2005. "Institutional Traders' Behavior in an Emerging Stock Market: Empirical Evidence on Polish Pension Fund Investors," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(7-8), pages 1537-1560.
- William F. Sharpe, 1965. "Mutual Fund Performance," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 39, pages 119.
- Elton, Edwin J, et al, 1993. "Efficiency with Costly Information: A Reinterpretation of Evidence from Managed Portfolios," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(1), pages 1-22.
- Jorge A. Chan-Lau, 2004. "Pension Funds and Emerging Markets," IMF Working Papers 04/181, International Monetary Fund.
- Grinblatt, Mark & Titman, Sheridan, 1994. "A Study of Monthly Mutual Fund Returns and Performance Evaluation Techniques," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 29(03), pages 419-444, September.
- David Blake & Bruce N. Lehmann & Allan Timmermann, 2002. "Performance clustering and incentives in the UK pension fund industry," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24945, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iis:dispap:iiisdp247. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Colette Keleher)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.