Market Timing Ability of Indian Firms in Open Market Repurchases
The paper examines the market timing ability of Indian fi rms engaged in open market repur- chases. The study is primarily motivated by the unique disclosure feature of repurchases in India, where the disclosures are far more frequent than in any other market. We find that the repurchasing firms in India are able accumulate shares at favorable prices similar to the US market. However, the cost savings do not translate into signifi cant wealth creation for the insiders as indicated by the short-run and long-run abnormal returns. This is contrary to the evidence from markets like the US. Further, the cross-sectional variations in the cost savings from repurchase execution in India are explained by the overall market returns and not by firm characteristics. These fi ndings contrast with that of US, where the firm characteristics signi ficantly explain the cross-sectional variation in the savings measure. It appears that the more frequent disclosure of repurchase activity in India cripples the market timing ability by reducing the information asymmetry between the firm and the outsiders. This conclusion is further supported by the irrelevance of the past or concurrent stock returns in explaining the time variation in the repurchase activity of fi rms.
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 91 79 2630 7241|
Fax: 91 79 2630 6896
Web page: http://www.iimahd.ernet.in/publications
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chan, Konan & Ikenberry, David L. & Lee, Inmoo, 2007. "Do managers time the market? Evidence from open-market share repurchases," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(9), pages 2673-2694, September.
- David Ikenberry & Josef Lakonishok & Theo Vermaelen, 2000.
"Stock Repurchases in Canada: Performance and Strategic Trading,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 55(5), pages 2373-2397, October.
- David Ikenberry & Josef Lakonishok & Theo Vermaelen, 1999. "Stock Repurchases in Canada: Performance and Strategic Trading," NBER Working Papers 7325, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edith Ginglinger & Jacques Hamon, 2007.
"Actual share repurchases, timing and liquidity,"
- Healy, Paul M. & Palepu, Krishna G., 2001. "Information asymmetry, corporate disclosure, and the capital markets: A review of the empirical disclosure literature," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1-3), pages 405-440, September.
- De Cesari, Amedeo & Espenlaub, Susanne & Khurshed, Arif & Simkovic, Michael, 2012. "The effects of ownership and stock liquidity on the timing of repurchase transactions," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 1023-1050.
- Urs Peyer, 2009. "The Nature and Persistence of Buyback Anomalies," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(4), pages 1693-1745, April.
- Eleswarapu, Venkat R. & Thompson, Rex & Venkataraman, Kumar, 2004. "The Impact of Regulation Fair Disclosure: Trading Costs and Information Asymmetry," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 39(02), pages 209-225, June.
- Douglas O. Cook & Laurie Krigman & J. Chris Leach, 2003. "An Analysis of SEC Guidelines for Executing Open Market Repurchases," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 76(2), pages 289-316, April.
- Paul Schultz, 2003. "Pseudo Market Timing and the Long-Run Underperformance of IPOs," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(2), pages 483-518, 04.
- Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1986.
"Large Shareholders and Corporate Control,"
3606237, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- David Ikenberry & Josef Lakonishok & Theo Vermaelen, 1994.
"Market Underreaction to Open Market Share Repurchases,"
NBER Working Papers
4965, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ikenberry, David & Lakonishok, Josef & Vermaelen, Theo, 1995. "Market underreaction to open market share repurchases," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2-3), pages 181-208.
- Gustavo Grullon & Roni Michaely, 2002. "Dividends, Share Repurchases, and the Substitution Hypothesis," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(4), pages 1649-1684, 08.
- Gustavo Grullon & Roni Michaely, 2004. "The Information Content of Share Repurchase Programs," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(2), pages 651-680, 04.
- Douglas O. Cook, 2004. "On the Timing and Execution of Open Market Repurchases," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 17(2), pages 463-498.
- Agarwalla, Sobhesh Kumar & Jacob, Joshy & Varma, Jayanth R., . "Four Factor Model in Indian Equities Market," IIMA Working Papers WP2013-09-05, Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad, Research and Publication Department.
- Claessens, Stijn & Djankov, Simeon & Lang, Larry H. P., 2000. "The separation of ownership and control in East Asian Corporations," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1-2), pages 81-112.
- Dann, Larry Y., 1981. "Common stock repurchases : An analysis of returns to bondholders and stockholders," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 113-138, June.
- Barclay, Michael J. & Smith, Clifford Jr., 1988. "Corporate payout policy : Cash Dividends versus Open-Market Repurchases," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 61-82, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iim:iimawp:12146. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.