Expectations and Fiscal Policy: An Empirical Investigation
With fiscal foresight, the shocks identified by standard Vector Autoregression (SVAR) techniques can be non-fundamental for the variables of interest. In an important paper, Ramey (2011) uses direct measures of the private sector’s forecast revisions of defense or federal spending to estimate the effects of government spending shocks in a VAR, obtaining the "expectations - augmented" VAR, or EVAR. The response of GDP to these shocks is smaller than 1, and consumption and the real wage fall: this is consistent with the neoclassical model, but the opposite of recent results from SVARs. In this paper, I make three points. First, EVARs and SVARs give virtually the same results. Ramey reaches the opposite conclusion because she never estimates the two specifications on the same sample and with the same government spending variable. Second, the evidence from EVARs is not robust. It is enough to dummy out just two quarters during WWII (when rationing was introduced) or during the Korean War (when new Fed regulation di couraging the purchase of durables was introduced) for the negative effects of defense spending shocks to disappear. Third, the forecast revision of federal spending from the Survey of Professional Forecasters has high explanatory power for government spending, but for the "wrong" reason: the predictive power of expected government spending growth is extremely low, so that the forecast error is effectively actual spending growth less noise.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: via Rontgen, 1 - 20136 Milano (Italy)|
Web page: http://www.igier.unibocconi.it/
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.igier.unibocconi.it/en/papers/index.htm Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mertens, Karel & Ravn, Morten O, 2009.
"Measuring the Impact of Fiscal Policy in the Face of Anticipation: A Structural VAR Approach,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7423, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Karel Mertens & MortenO. Ravn, 2010. "Measuring the Impact of Fiscal Policy in the Face of Anticipation: A Structural VAR Approach," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 120(544), pages 393-413, 05.
- Mario Forni & Luca Gambetti & Luca Sala, 2011.
"No News in Business Cycles,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
862.11, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Forni, Mario & Gambetti, Luca & Sala, Luca, 2011. "No News in Business Cycles," CEPR Discussion Papers 8274, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mario Forni & Luca Gambetti & Luca Sala, 2011. "No news in business cycles," Center for Economic Research (RECent) 063, University of Modena and Reggio E., Dept. of Economics "Marco Biagi".
- Mario Forni & Luca Gambetti & Luca Sala, 2011. "No News in Business Cycles," Working Papers 383, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Mario Forni & Luca Gambetti & Luca Sala, 2011. "No News in Business Cycles," Working Papers 535, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Mario Forni & Luca Gambetti & Luca Sala, 2013. "No News in Business Cycles," Working Papers 491, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Chahrour, Ryan & Schmitt-Grohé, Stephanie & Uribe, Martín, 2010.
"A Model-Based Evaluation of the Debate on the Size of the Tax Multiplier,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7930, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ryan Chahrour & Stephanie Schmitt-Grohé & Martín Uribe, 2012. "A Model-Based Evaluation of the Debate on the Size of the Tax Multiplier," American Economic Journal: Economic Policy, American Economic Association, vol. 4(2), pages 28-45, May.
- Ryan Chahrour & Stephanie Schmitt-Grohé & Martín Uribe, 2010. "A Model-Based Evaluation of the Debate on the Size of the Tax Multiplier," NBER Working Papers 16169, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lippi, Marco & Reichlin, Lucrezia, 1994.
"VAR analysis, nonfundamental representations, blaschke matrices,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 307-325, July.
- Marco Lippi & Lucrezia Reichlin, 1994. "VAR analysis, non-fundamental representations, Blashke matrices," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/10151, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Alan J. Auerbach & Yuriy Gorodnichenko, 2010.
"Measuring the Output Responses to Fiscal Policy,"
NBER Working Papers
16311, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eric M. Leeper & Todd B. Walker & Shu-Chun Susan Yang, 2008.
"Fiscal Foresight: Analytics and Econometrics,"
NBER Working Papers
14028, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:igi:igierp:429. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.