A decomposition of profit inefficiency into price expectation error, preferences towards risk and technical inefficiency
The paper addresses the decomposition of firms’ profit inefficiency (i.e. the difference between the observed profit and the maximal profit that could have been earned) in a context of output price uncertainty. More precisely, we separate this inefficiency into price expectation error, expected profit loss due to risk preference and technical inefficiency. Within this decomposition, the allocative inefficiency is explicitly defined as the result of price expectation error and risk attitude instead of being a residual (as in the traditional profit inefficiency decomposition). Our theoretical model is then implemented in a Data Envelopment Analysis framework which allows the separate estimation of each term of the decomposition. Besides, we offer an operational tool to reveal producers’ risk preferences and to measure their intensity. While the DEA approach is appealing since it imposes very few assumptions on the production set, its main drawback lies in the sensitivity of the measure to outliers. We therefore adapt our model to a robust approach.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ieseg.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Subal C. Kumbhakar, 2002. "Risk preference and productivity measurement under output price uncertainty," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 27(3), pages 461-472.
- Cazals, Catherine & Florens, Jean-Pierre & Simar, Leopold, 2002. "Nonparametric frontier estimation: a robust approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 106(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Robert G. Chambers & John Quiggin, 2002. "The State-Contingent Properties of Stochastic Production Functions," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(2), pages 513-526.
- Just, Richard E. & Pope, Rulon D., 1978. "Stochastic specification of production functions and economic implications," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 67-86, February.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Sandmo, Agnar, 1971. "On the Theory of the Competitive Firm under Price Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(1), pages 65-73, March.
- Fandel, Günter & Lorth, Michael, 2009. "On the technical (in)efficiency of a profit maximum," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 121(2), pages 409-426, October.
- Batra, Raveendra N & Ullah, Aman, 1974. "Competitive Firm and the Theory of Input Demand under Price Uncertainty," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(3), pages 537-48, May/June.
- Dervaux, B. & Leleu, H. & Minvielle, E. & Valdmanis, V. & Aegerter, P. & Guidet, B., 2009. "Performance of French intensive care units: A directional distance function approach at the patient level," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 120(2), pages 585-594, August.
- Chambers, Robert G, 1983. "Scale and Productivity Measurement under Risk," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(4), pages 802-05, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ies:wpaper:e201204. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Monika Marin)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.