Composition of Portfolio and Cost of Inflation
The welfare cost of inflation is explored via a search-theoretic model in which along with non-interest-bearing cash, interest-bearing liquid and illiquid assets are available. With inflation, agents are willing to replace higher-return illiquid assets with lower return liquid assets for consumption purchases. The opportunity cost incurred by this adjustment turns out to have quantitatively significant implications on the cost of inflation. A parameterized version of the model suggests that the cost of 10% inflation with liquid and illiquid interest-bearing assets is almost 3 times larger than that in a cash-only model. This implies that most existing measures of inflation cost with narrow money are substantially underestimated.
|Date of creation:||2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1-5-Ga, Anam-dong, Sung buk-ku, Seoul, 136-701|
Fax: (82-2) 928-4948
Web page: http://econ.korea.ac.kr/~ri
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ricardo Lagos, 2009.
"Asset Prices, Liquidity, and Monetary Policy in an Exchange Economy,"
2009 Meeting Papers
390, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Ricardo Lagos, 2011. "Asset Prices, Liquidity, and Monetary Policy in an Exchange Economy," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 43, pages 521-552, October.
- Shi Shougong, 1995.
"Money and Prices: A Model of Search and Bargaining,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 467-496, December.
- Shouyong Shi, 1995. "Money and Prices: A Model of Search and Bargaining," Working Papers 916, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Bali, Turan G., 2000. "U.S. money demand and the welfare cost of inflation in a currency-deposit model," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 233-258.
- Sustek, Roman, 2010.
"Monetary aggregates and the business cycle,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 57(4), pages 451-465, May.
- Robert E. Lucas, Jr., 2000. "Inflation and Welfare," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(2), pages 247-274, March.
- Aliprantis, C.D. & Camera, Gabriele & Puzzello, D., 2005.
"Anonymous Markets and Monetary Trading,"
Purdue University Economics Working Papers
1179, Purdue University, Department of Economics.
- Wallace, Neil, 2001. "Whither Monetary Economics?," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 42(4), pages 847-869, November.
- Ben Craig & Guillaume Rocheteau, 2006.
"Inflation and welfare: a search approach,"
Policy Discussion Papers,
Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, issue Jan.
- Nosal, Ed & Rocheteau, Guillaume, 2011. "Money, Payments, and Liquidity," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262016281, September.
- Ricardo Lagos & Randall Wright, 2002.
"A unified framework for monetary theory and policy analysis,"
0211, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Ricardo Lagos & Randall Wright, 2005. "A Unified Framework for Monetary Theory and Policy Analysis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 113(3), pages 463-484, June.
- Ricardo Lagos & Randall Wright, 2004. "A unified framework for monetary theory and policy analysis," Staff Report 346, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Carlos Arango & Angelika Welte, 2012. "The Bank of Canada’s 2009 Methods-of-Payment Survey: Methodology and Key Results," Discussion Papers 12-6, Bank of Canada.
- Cysne, Rubens Penha & Turchick, David, 2010.
"Welfare costs of inflation when interest-bearing deposits are disregarded: A calculation of the bias,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 1015-1030, June.
- Cysne, Rubens Penha & Turchick, David, 2010. "Welfare costs of inflation when interest-bearing deposits are disregarded: a calculation of the bias," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 700, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Rocheteau, Guillaume, 2012.
"The cost of inflation: A mechanism design approach,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 147(3), pages 1261-1279.
- Guillaume Rocheteau, 2011. "The cost of inflation: a mechanism design approach," Working Paper 1103, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Rubens Penha Cysne, 2001.
"Divisia Index, Inflation and Welfare,"
Anais do XXIX Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 29th Brazilian Economics Meeting]
020, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Benjamin Lester & Andrew Postlewaite & Randall Wright, 2012. "Information, Liquidity, Asset Prices, and Monetary Policy," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 79(3), pages 1209-1238.
- Zhu, Tao & Wallace, Neil, 2007. "Pairwise trade and coexistence of money and higher-return assets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 133(1), pages 524-535, March.
- Manjong Lee & Neil Wallace & Tao Zhu, 2005. "Modeling Denomination Structures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 73(3), pages 949-960, 05.
- Kocherlakota, Narayana R., 1998.
"Money Is Memory,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 232-251, August.
- Humphrey, David B., 2004. "Replacement of cash by cards in US consumer payments," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 211-225.
- Jones, Barry & Asaftei, Gabriel & Wang, Lian, 2004. "Welfare Cost Of Inflation In A General Equilibrium Model With Currency And Interest-Bearing Deposits," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 8(04), pages 493-517, September.
- Trejos, Alberto & Wright, Randall, 1995. "Search, Bargaining, Money, and Prices," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(1), pages 118-141, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iek:wpaper:1403. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kim, Jisoo)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.