Internet Interconnection and Network Neutrality
We analyze competition between interconnected networks when content is heterogeneous in its sensitivity to delivery quality. In a two-sided market framework, we characterize the equilibrium in a neutral network constrained to offer the same quality and assess the impact of such a constraint vis-à-vis a non-neutral network where Internet service providers (ISPs) are allowed to engage in second degree price discrimination with a menu of quality-price pairs. We find that the merit of net neutrality regulation depends crucially on content providers' business models. More generally, our analysis can be considered as a contribution to the literature on second-degree price discrimination in two-sided platform markets.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in American Economic Journal: Microeconomics, 2015.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +33 (0)5 61 12 85 89
Fax: + 33 (0)5 61 12 86 37
Web page: http://www.idei.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bruno Jullien & Wilfried Sand-Zantman, 2014.
"Pricing Internet Traffic: Exclusion, Signalling and Screening,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
4709, CESifo Group Munich.
- Jullien, Bruno & Sand-Zantman, Wilfried, 2012. "Pricing Internet Traffic: Exclusion, Signalling and Screening," IDEI Working Papers 735, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse, revised Feb 2014.
- Jullien, Bruno & Sand-Zantman, Wilfried, 2012. "Pricing Internet Traffic: Exclusion, Signalling and Screening," TSE Working Papers 12-327, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE), revised Feb 2014.
- Jullien, Bruno & Sand-Zantman, Wilfried, 2014. "Pricing Internet Traffic: Exclusion, Signalling and Screening," CEPR Discussion Papers 9896, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jay Pil Choi & Byung-Cheol Kim, 2008.
"Net Neutrality and Investment Incentives,"
08-03, NET Institute.
- Marc Bourreau & Frago Kourandi & Tommaso Valletti, 2014.
"Net Neutrality with Competing Internet Platforms,"
CEIS Research Paper
307, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 14 Feb 2014.
- Schuett Florian, 2010. "Network Neutrality: A Survey of the Economic Literature," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 9(2), pages 1-15, June.
- Robin S. Lee & Tim Wu, 2009. "Subsidizing Creativity through Network Design: Zero-Pricing and Net Neutrality," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 23(3), pages 61-76, Summer.
- Dessein, Wouter, 2003.
" Network Competition in Nonlinear Pricing,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 34(4), pages 593-611, Winter.
- Jean-Jacques Laffont & Patrick Rey & Jean Tirole, 1998. "Network Competition: I. Overview and Nondiscriminatory Pricing," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 29(1), pages 1-37, Spring.
- Jean-Jacques Laffont & Patrick Rey & Jean Tirole, 1998. "Network Competition: II. Price Discrimination," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 29(1), pages 38-56, Spring.
- Hurkens, Sjaak & Jeon, Doh-Shin, 2012. "Promoting network competition by regulating termination charges," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 541-552.
- Armstrong, Mark, 1998. "Network Interconnection in Telecommunications," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(448), pages 545-64, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ide:wpaper:26549. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.