Should State-Owned Firms Change CEOs Before Privatization? The Case of the Telecommunications Industry
Should state-owned enterprises change chief executive officer before privatizing? We test competing views on this question by complementing a recently released database with newly collected data. We are able to cover 77 telecommunications privatizations, which account for nearly 80 percent of the sector in terms of value. We find that CEO replacement will improve performance in the telecommunications industry before privatization as measured by penetration, operating efficiency, and profitability. CEO change before privatization does appear to have real consequences in firm performance before privatization. Moreover, findings are consistent with previous research that links CEO replacement and an increase in privatization prices
|Date of creation:||Feb 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1300 New York Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20577|
Web page: http://www.iadb.org/res
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nicolas Barberis & Maxin Boycho & Andrei Shleifer & Natalia Tsukanova, 1995.
"How Does Privatization Work? Evidence from the Russian Shops,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1721, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Barberis, Nicholas & Maxim Boycko & Andrei Shleifer & Natalia Tsukanova, 1996. "How Does Privatization Work? Evidence from the Russian Shops," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(4), pages 764-90, August.
- Nicholas Barberis & Maxim Boycko & Andrei Shleifer & Natalia Tsukanova, 1995. "How Does Privatization Work? Evidence from the Russian Shops," NBER Working Papers 5136, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barberis, Nicholas & Boycko, Maxim & Shleifer, Andrei & Tsukanova, Natalia, 1996. "How Does Privatization Work? Evidence from the Russian Shops," Scholarly Articles 3451306, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Florencio López-de-Silanes, 1997. "Determinants of Privatization Prices," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 112(4), pages 965-1025.
- Alberto Chong & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes, 2004.
"Privatización en México,"
Research Department Publications
4374, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Alberto E. Chong & Florencio López-de-Silanes, 2004. "Privatization in Mexico," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 6682, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Alberto Chong & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes, 2004. "Privatization in Mexico," Research Department Publications 4373, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio López-de-Silanes, 1999. "The Benefits of Privatization: Evidence from Mexico," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 114(4), pages 1193-1242.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:idb:wpaper:4321. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Monica Bazan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.