A Dominance Criterion for Measuring Income Inequality from a Centrist View: The Case of Australia
This paper introduces a new Lorenz dominance criterion that allows ranking income distributions according to centrist measures à la Seidl and Pfingsten (1997). In doing so, it defines a-Lorenz curves by adapting the generalized Lorenz curves to this case. In addition, it provides an empirical illustration of these tools using Australian income data for the period 2001–2008. The results suggest that despite the reduction of relative inequality, inequality increased for most centrist value judgments.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010 Australia|
Phone: +61 3 8344 2100
Fax: +61 3 8344 2111
Web page: http://www.melbourneinstitute.com/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Moyes, Patrick, 1987. "A new concept of Lorenz domination," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 203-207.
- George Athanasopoulos & Farshid Vahid, 2002.
"Statistical Inference on Changes in Income Inequality in Australia,"
Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers
9/02, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- George Athanasopoulos & Farshid Vahid, 2003. "Statistical Inference and Changes in Income Inequality in Australia," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 79(247), pages 412-424, December.
- Bossert, Walter & Pfingsten, Andreas, 1990. "Intermediate inequality: concepts, indices, and welfare implications," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 117-134, April.
- Satya Chakravarty & Swami Tyagarupananda, 2009. "The subgroup decomposable intermediate indices of inequality," Spanish Economic Review, Springer;Spanish Economic Association, vol. 11(2), pages 83-97, June.
- Coral del Río & Olga Alonso-Villar, 2007. "Rankings of Income Distributions: A Note on Intermediate Inequality Indices," Working Papers 68, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Buhong Zheng, 2007. "Unit-Consistent Decomposable Inequality Measures," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 74(293), pages 97-111, 02.
- Paul Blacklow & Ranjan Ray, 2000.
"A Comparison of Income and Expenditure Inequality Estimates: The Australian Evidence, 1975-76 to 1993-94,"
Australian Economic Review,
The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 33(4), pages 317-329.
- Blacklow, P. & Ray, R., 1999. "A Comparison of Income and Expenditure Inequality Estimates: the Australian Evidence, 1975/76 to 1993/94," Papers 1999-05, Tasmania - Department of Economics.
- Shorrocks, Anthony F, 1983. "Ranking Income Distributions," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 50(197), pages 3-17, February.
- Saunders, Peter & Stott, Helen & Hobbes, Garry, 1991. "Income Inequality in Australia and New Zealand: International Comparisons and Recent Trends," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 37(1), pages 63-79, March.
- Coral del Río & Olga Alonso-Villar, 2007.
"New Unit-Consistent Intermediate Inequality Indices,"
63, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Coral Río & Olga Alonso-Villar, 2010. "New unit-consistent intermediate inequality indices," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 42(3), pages 505-521, March.
- Amiel, Yoram & Cowell, Frank A., 1992. "Measurement of income inequality : Experimental test by questionnaire," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 3-26, February.
- Kolm, Serge-Christophe, 1976. "Unequal inequalities. II," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 82-111, August.
- Tateo Yoshida, 2005. "Social welfare rankings of income distributions A new parametric concept of intermediate inequality," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 24(3), pages 557-574, 06.
- Coral del RÎo & Javier Ruiz-Castillo, 2000. "Intermediate inequality and welfare," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 17(2), pages 223-239.
- Dasgupta, Partha & Sen, Amartya & Starrett, David, 1973. "Notes on the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 180-187, April.
- Seidl, Christian & Theilen, Bernd, 1994. "Stochastic independence of distributional attitudes and social status : A comparison of German and Polish data," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 295-310, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iae:iaewps:wp2012n03. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Abbey Treloar)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.