A Comparison of Income and Expenditure Inequality Estimates: The Australian Evidence, 1975-76 to 1993-94
This paper compares, using Australian unit record data, income and expenditure inequalities over the period 1975/76 to 1993/94. The study finds inconsistencies between the two inequality movements over much of this period. We, also, observe differences in the nature of income and consumption disparities.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 33 (2000)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: The University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010|
Phone: +61 3 8344 2100
Fax: +61 3 8344 2111
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0004-9018
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=0004-9018|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roberts, Kevin, 1980.
"Price-Independent Welfare Prescriptions,"
Springer, vol. 13(3), pages 277-97, June.
- Meagher, G A & Dixon, Peter B, 1986. "Analyzing Income Distribution in Australia," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 62(179), pages 427-41, December.
- Lancaster, Geoffrey & Ray, Ranjan & Valenzuela, Maria Rebecca, 1999. "A Cross-Country Study of Household Poverty and Inequality on Unit Record Household Budget Data," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 48(1), pages 177-208, October.
- Binh, Tran Nam & Whiteford, Peter, 1990. "Household Equivalence Scales: New Australian Estimates from the 1984 Household Expenditure Survey," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 66(194), pages 221-34, September.
- Shorrocks, Anthony F, 1984. "Inequality Decomposition by Population Subgroups," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(6), pages 1369-85, November.
- Saunders, Peter, 1993. "Longer Run Changes in the Distribution of Income in Australia," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 69(207), pages 353-66, December.
- Garry Barrett & Thomas Crossley & Christopher Worswick, 1999.
"Consumption and Income Inequality in Australia,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
404, Centre for Economic Policy Research, Research School of Economics, Australian National University.
- Borland, J. & Kennedy, S., 1998.
"Earnings Inequality in Australia,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
389, Centre for Economic Policy Research, Research School of Economics, Australian National University.
- Lancaster, Geoffrey & Ray, Ranjan, 1998. "Comparison of Alternative Models of Household Equivalence Scales: The Australian Evidence on Unit Record Data," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 74(224), pages 1-14, March.
- Richard Blundell & Ian Preston, 1998.
"Consumption Inequality and Income Uncertainty,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 113(2), pages 603-640.
- Ann Harding, 1997. "The Suffering Middle: Trends in Income Inequality in Australia, 1982 to 1993-94," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 30(4), pages 341-358.
- Lancaster, Geoffrey & Ray, Ranjan & Valenzuela, Maria Rebecca, 1999. "A Cross-Country Study of Equivalence Scales and Expenditure Inequality on Unit Record Household Budget Data," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 45(4), pages 455-82, December.
- Blacklow, P. & Ray, R., 1998. "Impact of Prices, Equivalence Scales and Consumer Preferences on Inequality in Australia, 1975/76-93/94," Papers 1998-06, Tasmania - Department of Economics.
- Kakwani, Nanak, 1993. "Statistical Inference in the Measurement of Poverty," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(4), pages 632-39, November.
- Ray, Ranjan, 1983. "Measuring the costs of children : An alternative approach," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 89-102, October.
- James Banks & Richard Blundell & Arthur Lewbel, 1997. "Quadratic Engel Curves And Consumer Demand," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 527-539, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:ausecr:v:33:y:2000:i:4:p:317-329. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.