Bank Reform in Greece with reference to Eastern Europe. The Case of the Hellenic Industrial Development Bank S.A
Is Greece a reforming economy? The purpose of this paper is to present the evolution and structure of the banking sector in Greece, with reference to the parallel experiences of the Eastern European (EE) countries. In Section 2, we are concerned with the domestic economic environment within which the Greek Banking System (GBS) operates. and the pressures building up within the system encouraging reform. In Section 3, we look into the evolution of the Greek Banking System, both in terms of structures and in terms of policy. Changes in the instruments of monetary policy are also considered in this section. In Section 4, we present the case of the Hellenic Industrial Development Bank, currently undergoing a thorough restructuring plan. In Section 5, we examine some of the main similarities and differences between Greece and the EE countries in relation to banking sector problems and reforms.
|Date of creation:||1998|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Edinburgh EH14 4AS|
Phone: +44(0)131 451 3497
Fax: +44(0)131 451 3497
Web page: http://www.sml.hw.ac.uk/research/cert.htm
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Bonin & Mark E. Schaffer, 1999.
"Revisiting Hungary's Bankruptcy Episode,"
CERT Discussion Papers
9906, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- John P. Bonin & Mark E. Schaffer, 1999. "Revisiting Hungary's Bankruptcy Episode," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 255, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Schaffer, Mark E., 1998. "Do Firms in Transition Economies Have Soft Budget Constraints? A Reconsideration of Concepts and Evidence," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 80-103, March.
- S Estrin & P Hare & M Suranyi, 1992. "Banking in Transition: Development and Current Problems in Hungary," CEP Discussion Papers dp0068, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Wendy Carlin & John Van Reenen & Toby Wolfe, 1995. "Enterprise restructuring in early transition: the case study evidence from Central and Eastern Europe," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 3(4), pages 427-458, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hwe:certdp:9811. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Colin Miller)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.