Estimating the quadratic covariation of an asynchronously observed semimartingale with jumps
We consider estimation of the quadratic (co)variation of a semimartingale from discrete observations which are irregularly spaced under high-frequency asymptotics. In the univariate setting, results from Jacod (2008) are generalized to the case of irregular observations. In the two-dimensional setup under non-synchronous observations, we derive a stable central limit theorem for the estimator by Hayashi and Yoshida (2005) in the presence of jumps. We reveal how idiosyncratic and simultaneous jumps affect the asymptotic distribution. Observation times generated by Poisson processes are explicitly discussed.
|Date of creation:||May 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Spandauer Str. 1,10178 Berlin|
Web page: http://sfb649.wiwi.hu-berlin.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lan Zhang & Per A. Mykland & Yacine Ait-Sahalia, 2003.
"A Tale of Two Time Scales: Determining Integrated Volatility with Noisy High Frequency Data,"
NBER Working Papers
10111, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zhang, Lan & Mykland, Per A. & Ait-Sahalia, Yacine, 2005. "A Tale of Two Time Scales: Determining Integrated Volatility With Noisy High-Frequency Data," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 100, pages 1394-1411, December.
- Almut Veraart, 2008.
"Inference for the jump part of quadratic variation of Itô semimartingales,"
CREATES Research Papers
2008-17, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Veraart, Almut E.D., 2010. "Inference For The Jump Part Of Quadratic Variation Of Itô Semimartingales," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(02), pages 331-368, April.
- Ole E. Barndorff-Nielsen & Peter Reinhard Hansen & Asger Lunde & Neil Shephard, 2006.
"Designing realised kernels to measure the ex-post variation of equity prices in the presence of noise,"
2006-W03, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Ole E. Barndorff-Nielsen & Peter Reinhard Hansen & Asger Lunde & Neil Shephard, 2008. "Designing Realized Kernels to Measure the ex post Variation of Equity Prices in the Presence of Noise," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 76(6), pages 1481-1536, November.
- Ole E Barndorff-Nielsen & Peter Hansen & Asger Lunde & Neil Shephard, 2006. "Designing realised kernels to measure the ex-post variation of equity prices in the presence of noise," OFRC Working Papers Series 2006fe05, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Mark Podolskij & Mathias Vetter, 2009.
"Understanding limit theorems for semimartingales: a short survey,"
CREATES Research Papers
2009-47, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Mark Podolskij & Mathias Vetter, 2010. "Understanding limit theorems for semimartingales: a short survey," Statistica Neerlandica, Netherlands Society for Statistics and Operations Research, vol. 64(s1), pages 329-351.
- Ole E. Barndorff-Nielsen & Shephard, 2002.
"Econometric analysis of realized volatility and its use in estimating stochastic volatility models,"
Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B,
Royal Statistical Society, vol. 64(2), pages 253-280.
- Ole E. Barndorff-Nielsen & Neil Shephard, 2000. "Econometric analysis of realised volatility and its use in estimating stochastic volatility models," Economics Papers 2001-W4, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford, revised 05 Jul 2001.
- Per A. Mykland & Lan Zhang, 2009. "Inference for Continuous Semimartingales Observed at High Frequency," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 77(5), pages 1403-1445, 09.
- Markus Bibinger, 2011. "Asymptotics of Asynchronicity," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2011-033, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Jacod, Jean, 2008. "Asymptotic properties of realized power variations and related functionals of semimartingales," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 118(4), pages 517-559, April.
- Hayashi, Takaki & Yoshida, Nakahiro, 2011. "Nonsynchronous covariation process and limit theorems," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 121(10), pages 2416-2454, October.
- Andersen, Torben G & Bollerslev, Tim, 1998. "Answering the Skeptics: Yes, Standard Volatility Models Do Provide Accurate Forecasts," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(4), pages 885-905, November.
- Fukasawa, Masaaki & Rosenbaum, Mathieu, 2012. "Central limit theorems for realized volatility under hitting times of an irregular grid," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 122(12), pages 3901-3920.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hum:wpaper:sfb649dp2013-029. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RDC-Team)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.