Renminbi Going Global
The paper assesses the international status of the Chinese currency renminbi (RMB) by recounting and reviewing the recent polices China instituted to promote the use of the RMB in the global market. The evidence suggests that the RMB is gaining acceptance overseas. However, compared with the size of the Chinese economy, the current scale of the use of the RMB is quite small. The path to a fully fledged international RMB will be a distant goal.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 55th Floor , Two International Finance Centre , 8 Finance Street , Central, Hong Kong|
Phone: (852)2878 1978
Fax: (852)2878 7006
Web page: http://www.hkimr.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chang Shu & Xiaojing Su, 2009. "Exchange Rate Pass-through in China," China & World Economy, Institute of World Economics and Politics, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, vol. 17(1), pages 33-46.
- Dong He & Robert McCauley, 2010.
"Offshore markets for the domestic currency: monetary and financial stability issues,"
BIS Working Papers
320, Bank for International Settlements.
- Dong He & Robert N. McCauley, 2010. "Offshore Markets for the Domestic Currency: Monetary and Financial Stability Issues," Working Papers 1002, Hong Kong Monetary Authority.
- Hans Genberg, 2011.
"Currency internationalisation: analytical and policy issues,"
BIS Papers chapters,
in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Currency internationalisation: lessons from the global financial crisis and prospects for the future in Asia and the Pacific, volume 61, pages 221-230
Bank for International Settlements.
- Hans Genberg, 2009. "Currency Internationalisation: Analytical and Policy Issues," Working Papers 312009, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Yin-Wong Cheung & Guonan Ma & Robert N. McCauley, 2010.
"Renminbising China's Foreign Assets,"
162010, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Dobson, Wendy & Masson, Paul R., 2009. "Will the renminbi become a world currency?," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 124-135, March.
- Paul R. Krugman, 1984. "The International Role of the Dollar: Theory and Prospect," NBER Chapters, in: Exchange Rate Theory and Practice, pages 261-278 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Menzie Chinn & Jeffrey A. Frankel, 2007.
"Will the Euro Eventually Surpass the Dollar as Leading International Reserve Currency?,"
in: G7 Current Account Imbalances: Sustainability and Adjustment, pages 283-338
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Menzie Chinn & Jeffrey Frankel, 2005. "Will the Euro Eventually Surpass the Dollar as Leading International Reserve Currency?," NBER Working Papers 11510, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chinn, Menzie David & Frankel, Jeffrey A., 2006. "Will the Euro Eventually Surpass the Dollar As Leading International Reserve Currency?," Santa Cruz Center for International Economics, Working Paper Series qt4hz4n9pb, Center for International Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Chinn, Menzie & Frankel, Jeffrey, 2005. "Will the Euro Eventually Surpass the Dollar as Leading International Reserve Currency?," Working Paper Series rwp05-064, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Chinn, Menzie David & Frankel, Jeffrey A., 2005. "Will the Euro Eventually Surpass the Dollar as Leading International Reserve Currency?," Center for Global, International and Regional Studies, Working Paper Series qt6p4215w1, Center for Global, International and Regional Studies, UC Santa Cruz.
- Tavlas, G.S., 1991. "On the International Use of Currencies: the Case of the Deutsche Mark," Princeton Studies in International Economics 181, International Economics Section, Departement of Economics Princeton University,.
- Goldberg, Linda S. & Tille, Cédric, 2008.
"Vehicle currency use in international trade,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 177-192, December.
- Olaf Stier & Kerstin Bernoth & Alexander Fisher, 2010. "Internationalization of the Chinese Renminbi: An Opportunity for China," Weekly Report, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 6(17), pages 126-132.
- Takatoshi Ito & Satoshi Koibuchi & Kiyotaka Sato & Junko Shimizu, 2010. "Why has the yen failed to become a dominant invoicing currency in Asia? A firm-level analysis of Japanese Exporters' invoicing behavior," NBER Working Papers 16231, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:nbr:nberbk:bils84-1 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hkm:wpaper:082011. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (HKIMR)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.