A joint non-parametric approach to the decomposition of bond yields and CDS spreads: application of Eurozone market data
In this paper we develop a joint non-parametric approach to the problem of the decomposition of bond yields and CDS spreads. The proposed approach is essentially an infinite-dimensional modification of the Heath-Jarrow-Morton framework and is general enough to capture even very non-trivial shapes of the yield and hazard-rate curves. The approach allows us to jointly estimate entire term structures of yields, hazard rates, and liquidity premiums, no matter what shapes they take. We apply the developed methodology to data on major Eurozone sovereign borrowers and consider the most recent period of the Eurozone debt crisis. Our data set includes instruments with maturities from 6 months to 30 years. As a result, we found several interesting interaction effects between those components in terms of term structure. Treating the bond-CDS basis as a measure of the cross-market liquidity spread, we find that cross-market liquidity evolves in a rather non-trivial and pronounced manner. As the credit quality of the reference entity deteriorates, the liquidity of the CDS market dries up, starting from longer terms.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in WP BRP Series: Financial Economics / FE, March 2013, pages 1-20|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.hse.ru/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tomas Björk & Bent Jesper Christensen, 1999.
"Interest Rate Dynamics and Consistent Forward Rate Curves,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(4), pages 323-348.
- Björk, Tomas & Christensen, Bent Jesper, 1997. "Interest Rate Dynamics and Consistent Forward Rate Curves," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 209, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Longstaff, Francis A. & Santa-Clara, Pedro & Schwartz, Eduardo S., 2001. "Throwing away a billion dollars: the cost of suboptimal exercise strategies in the swaptions market," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 39-66, October.
- Francis A. Longstaff & Sanjay Mithal & Eric Neis, 2005.
"Corporate Yield Spreads: Default Risk or Liquidity? New Evidence from the Credit Default Swap Market,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 60(5), pages 2213-2253, October.
- Francis A. Longstaff & Sanjay Mithal & Eric Neis, 2004. "Corporate Yield Spreads: Default Risk or Liquidity? New Evidence from the Credit-Default Swap Market," NBER Working Papers 10418, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bühler, Wolfgang & Trapp, Monika, 2009. "Time-varying credit risk and liquidity premia in bond and CDS markets," CFR Working Papers 09-13, University of Cologne, Centre for Financial Research (CFR).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hig:wpaper:13/fe/2013. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamil Abdulaev)or (Victoria Elkina)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.