Modelling firm mergers as a roommate problem
We propose a way to model firm mergers using a matching game known as the roommate problem, whereby firms are assumed to make preference rankings of potential merger partners. The position of a firm in another firm's ranking is assumed to be governed by an index, which in turn consists of a deterministic part and of a stochastic one, similar to the latent indices used in standard discrete-choice models. Given all firms' preferences, game-theoretic mechanisms lead to a matching whereby each firm is either self-matched or assigned a merger partner. We derive expressions for the probability of a merger between a specific firm pair, and also a log-likelihood function for estimation using firm-specific data. Using a simulation in a setting with groups of three firms involved in roommate games within each group, the model's finite-sample properties are examined.
|Date of creation:||20 Jan 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: + 46 18 471 25 00
Fax: + 46 18 471 14 78
Web page: http://www.nek.uu.se/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Morton I. Kamien & Israel Zang, 1988.
"The Limits of Monopolization Through Acquisition,"
802, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Effrosyni Diamantoudi & Eiichi Miyagawa & Licun Xue, 2002.
"Random paths to stability in the roommate problem,"
0102-65, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Sven-Olof Fridolfsson & Johan Stennek, 2010.
"Industry Concentration and Welfare: On the Use of Stock Market Evidence from Horizontal Mergers,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 77(308), pages 734-750, October.
- Fridolfsson, Sven-Olof & Stennek, Johan, 2006. "Industry Concentration and Welfare - On the Use of Stock Market Evidence from Horizontal Mergers," Working Paper Series 682, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Fridolfsson, Sven-Olof & Stennek, Johan, 2006. "Industry Concentration and Welfare - On the Use of Stock Market Evidence from Horizontal Mergers," CEPR Discussion Papers 5977, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Persson, Lars & Horn, Henrik, 1998.
"Endogenous Mergers in Concentrated Markets,"
Working Paper Series
513, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- John K. Dagsvik & Ane S. Flaatten & Helge Brunborg, 1998. "A Behavioral Two-Sex Marriage Model," Discussion Papers 238, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Ericson, Richard & Pakes, Ariel, 1995. "Markov-Perfect Industry Dynamics: A Framework for Empirical Work," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(1), pages 53-82, January.
- Roth, Alvin E & Vande Vate, John H, 1990. "Random Paths to Stability in Two-Sided Matching," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(6), pages 1475-80, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:uunewp:2006_010. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Katarina Grönvall)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.