C-CAPM and the Cross-Section of Sharpe Ratios
This paper studies if the consumption-based asset pricing model can explain the cross-section of Sharpe ratios. The CRRA model and several extensions (habit persistence, recursive utility and idiosyncratic shocks) all imply that the Sharpe ratio is linearly increasing in the asset's correlation with aggregate consumption growth. Results from quarterly data on 40 US portfolios (1947-2001) and 10 international portfolios (1957/1971-2001) suggest that both the unconditional and conditional C-CAPM have serious problems: there is a great deal of variation in Sharpe ratios, but most portfolios have relatively similar and low correlations with aggregate consumption growth.
|Date of creation:||15 Aug 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Institute for Financial Research Drottninggatan 89, SE-113 60 Stockholm, Sweden|
Web page: http://www.sifr.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Campbell, John Y., 2003.
"Consumption-based asset pricing,"
Handbook of the Economics of Finance,
in: G.M. Constantinides & M. Harris & R. M. Stulz (ed.), Handbook of the Economics of Finance, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 13, pages 803-887
- John Y. Campbell, 2002. "Consumption-Based Asset Pricing," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1974, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Svensson, L.E.O., 1988.
"Portfolio Choice With Non-Expected Utility In Continuous Time,"
423, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Svensson, Lars E. O., 1989. "Portfolio choice with non-expected utility in continuous time," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 313-317, October.
- Mankiw, N. Gregory, 1986.
"The equity premium and the concentration of aggregate shocks,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 211-219, September.
- N. Gregory Mankiw, 1986. "The Equity Premium and the Concentration of Aggregate Shocks," NBER Working Papers 1788, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert F. Engle & Kevin Sheppard, 2001.
"Theoretical and Empirical properties of Dynamic Conditional Correlation Multivariate GARCH,"
NBER Working Papers
8554, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Engle, Robert F & Sheppard, Kevin K, 2001. "Theoretical and Empirical Properties of Dynamic Conditional Correlation Multivariate GARCH," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt5s2218dp, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Martin Lettau & Sydney Ludvigson, 1999.
"Resurrecting the (C)CAPM: a cross-sectional test when risk premia are time-varying,"
93, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Martin Lettau & Sydney Ludvigson, 2001. "Resurrecting the (C)CAPM: A Cross-Sectional Test When Risk Premia Are Time-Varying," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 109(6), pages 1238-1287, December.
- Lettau, Martin, 1998.
"Idiosyncratic Risk and Volatility Bounds, or, Can Models with Idiosyncratic Risk Solve the Equity Premium Puzzle?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1795, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Martin Lettau, 2001. "Idiosyncratic risk and volatility bounds, or can models with idiosyncratic risk solve the equity premium puzzle?," Staff Reports 130, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Campbell, John Y, 1993.
"Intertemporal Asset Pricing without Consumption Data,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 83(3), pages 487-512, June.
- John Y. Campbell, 1992. "Intertemporal Asset Pricing Without Consumption Data," NBER Working Papers 3989, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Campbell, John, 1993. "Intertemporal Asset Pricing Without Consumption Data," Scholarly Articles 3221491, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Breeden, Douglas T & Gibbons, Michael R & Litzenberger, Robert H, 1989. " Empirical Tests of the Consumption-Oriented CAPM," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(2), pages 231-62, June.
- Ravi Bansal & Robert F. Dittmar & Christian T. Lundblad, 2005. "Consumption, Dividends, and the Cross Section of Equity Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(4), pages 1639-1672, 08.
- Mehra, Rajnish & Prescott, Edward C., 1985.
"The equity premium: A puzzle,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 145-161, March.
- Epstein, Larry G & Zin, Stanley E, 1991. "Substitution, Risk Aversion, and the Temporal Behavior of Consumption and Asset Returns: An Empirical Analysis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(2), pages 263-86, April.
- Engle, Robert, 2002. "Dynamic Conditional Correlation: A Simple Class of Multivariate Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(3), pages 339-50, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:sifrwp:0018. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anki Helmer)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.