This paper explores the entrepreneurial experience (and spirit) of Swedish policymakers. To what extent have they been involved in entrepreneurial activities? Are they planning to start any entrepreneurial activities? Are politicians more or less entrepreneurial than their voters? How important are entrepreneurship policies to Swedish politicians? Are entrepreneurship policies more or less important to policymakers compared to the voters they represent? The Members of Parliament were asked the same questions regarding their entrepreneurial activities as found in the Global Entrepreneurship Monitor (GEM). The empirical results indicate that when, we analyse the statistical significance of the differences and control for individual characteristics, policymakers have similar experiences and ambitions to the rest of the population when it comes to entrepreneurial activities. Policymakers have a high potential for becoming entrepreneurs in the future, but seem to be less optimistic about how entrepreneurs are perceived in the Swedish cultural context. In addition, there is a substantial discrepancy between how policymakers and voters perceive the ease of starting and running a business. Unlike policymakers, voters do not agree that it is easy to start and run a business in Sweden.
|Date of creation:||30 May 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: The Ratio Institute, P.O. Box 5095, SE-102 42 Stockholm, Sweden|
Phone: 08-441 59 00
Fax: 08-441 59 29
Web page: http://www.ratio.se/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- C. Mirjam van Praag & Peter H. Versloot, 2007.
"What is the Value of Entrepreneurship? A Review of Recent Research,"
Jena Economic Research Papers
2007-061, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena.
- C. Praag & Peter Versloot, 2007. "What is the value of entrepreneurship? A review of recent research," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 29(4), pages 351-382, December.
- C. Mirjam van Praag & Peter H. Versloot, 2007. "What is the Value of Entrepreneurship? A Review of Recent Research," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 07-066/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- van Praag, Mirjam C. & Versloot, Peter H., 2007. "What Is the Value of Entrepreneurship? A Review of Recent Research," IZA Discussion Papers 3014, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- André Stel & David Storey & A. Thurik, 2007.
"The Effect of Business Regulations on Nascent and Young Business Entrepreneurship,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 171-186, March.
- van Stel, A.J. & Storey, D. & Thurik, A.R., 2006. "The Effect of Business Regulations on Nascent and Young Business Entrepreneurship," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2006-052-ORG, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- André van Stel & Roy Thurik & David Storey, 2006. "The effect of business regulations on nascent and young business entrepreneurship," Scales Research Reports H200609, EIM Business and Policy Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:ratioi:0167. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Martin Korpi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.