The Theory of the Firm and the Markets for Strategic Acquisitions
Five problems are addressed: (1) the role of competent actors in the venture capital and exit markets supporting the industrialization of winning technologies in small innovative firms, (2) the competence of the large firm to integrate large-scale operational efficiency with small-scale innovative capability through distributed development work and integrated production and (3) the importance of viable markets for strategic acquisitions, both in making this possible and in allowing a flexible choice for the small firm between growing aggressively on its own through own acquisitions, or being acquired strategically itself. We (4) find that the less developed markets in continental Europe may be a disadvantage compared to the US in ushering in a future New Economy. We finally (5) discuss what becomes of the Coasian theory of the firm when production is constantly outsourced in, or insourced from the market as the relative efficiency of coordination through management and over the market changes.
|Date of creation:||24 May 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Forthcoming in Entrepreneurship, the New Economy and Public Policy, Cantner, Uwe, Klepper, Stephen, Hanusch, Horst (eds.), 2004, chapter 00, Physica Verlag.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: The Ratio Institute, P.O. Box 5095, SE-102 42 Stockholm, Sweden|
Phone: 08-441 59 00
Fax: 08-441 59 29
Web page: http://www.ratio.se/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dan Johansson, 2005. "The Turnover of Firms and Industry Growth," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 24(5), pages 487-495, 06.
- Oliver Hart & John Moore, 1988.
"Property Rights and the Nature of the Firm,"
495, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Boyan Jovanovic & Peter L. Rousseau, 2002.
"Mergers as Reallocation,"
NBER Working Papers
9279, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aghion, Philippe & Tirole, Jean, 1994.
"On the Management of Innovation,"
IDEI Working Papers
36, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Lerner, Josh & Shane, Hilary & Tsai, Alexander, 2003.
"Do equity financing cycles matter? evidence from biotechnology alliances,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 67(3), pages 411-446, March.
- Josh Lerner & Alexander Tsai, 2000. "Do Equity Financing Cycles Matter? Evidence from Biotechnology Alliances," NBER Working Papers 7464, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gunnar Eliasson & Clas Wihlborg, 2003. "On the macroeconomic effects of establishing tradability in weak property rights," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 13(5), pages 607-632, December.
- Josh Lerner & Robert P. Merges, 1997. "The Control of Strategic Alliances: An Empirical Analysis of Biotechnology Collaborations," NBER Working Papers 6014, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lewis, Tracy R & Sappington, David E M, 1991. "Technological Change and the Boundaries of the Firm," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(4), pages 887-900, September.
- Kenneth Arrow, 1962. "Economic Welfare and the Allocation of Resources for Invention," NBER Chapters, in: The Rate and Direction of Inventive Activity: Economic and Social Factors, pages 609-626 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Philippe Aghion & Jean Tirole, 1994. "The Management of Innovation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 109(4), pages 1185-1209.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1980. "Agency Problems and the Theory of the Firm," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(2), pages 288-307, April.
- Vernon Henderson, 1999. "Marshall's Economies," NBER Working Papers 7358, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eliasson, Gunnar & Johansson, Dan & Taymaz, Erol, 2004.
"Simulating the New Economy,"
Structural Change and Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 289-314, September.
- Gunnar Eliasson & Asa Eliasson, 1996. "The biotechnological competence bloc," Revue d'Économie Industrielle, Programme National Persée, vol. 78(1), pages 7-26.
- Holmstrom, Bengt R. & Tirole, Jean, 1989. "The theory of the firm," Handbook of Industrial Organization, in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 2, pages 61-133 Elsevier.
- Eliasson, Gunnar & Johansson, Dan & Taymaz, Erol, 2005. "Firm Tunrover and the Rate of Macroeconomic Growth - Simulating the Macroeconomic Effects of Schumpeterian Creative Destruction," Ratio Working Papers 66, The Ratio Institute.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:ratioi:0044. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Martin Korpi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.