Irreversible Investments Revisited
A non-linear dynamic model in two state variables, two controls and three cost terms is presented for the purpose of finding the optimal combination of exploitation and capital investment in optimal renewable resource management. Non-malleability of capital is, in other words, incorporated in the model through an asymmetric convex cost-function of investment, and investments can be both positive and negative. Exploitation is controlled through the utilisation rate of available capital. A novel feature in this model is that there are fixed costs associated with the available capital whether it is utilised or not. In contrast to most of the previous literature both state variables enter the objective function.
|Date of creation:||11 Oct 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: NHH, Department of Business and Management Science, Helleveien 30, N-5045 Bergen, Norway|
Phone: +47 55 95 92 93
Fax: +47 55 95 96 50
Web page: http://www.nhh.no/en/research-faculty/department-of-business-and-management-science.aspx
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Boyce John R., 1995. "Optimal Capital Accumulation in a Fishery: A Nonlinear Irreversible Investment Model," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 324-339, May.
- Brunner, Martin & Strulik, Holger, 2002.
"Solution of perfect foresight saddlepoint problems: a simple method and applications,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 737-753, May.
- Martin Brunner & Holger Strulik, 2002. "Code for "Solution of Perfect Foresight Sattlepoint Problems: A Simple Method and Applications"," QM&RBC Codes 93, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- McKelvey, Robert, 1985. "Decentralized regulation of a common property renewable resource industry with irreversible investment," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 287-307, December.
- Clark, Colin W & Clarke, Frank H & Munro, Gordon R, 1979. "The Optimal Exploitation of Renewable Resource Stocks: Problems of Irreversible Investment," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 25-47, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:nhhfms:2006_011. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stein Fossen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.