Characteristics and Performance of New Firms and Spinoffs in Sweden
We analyze the rate of formation, the characteristics, and the performance of different types of new firms in Sweden over a decade. Comparisons to Denmark, Brazil, and the U.S. suggest that the environment for new firm formation in Sweden is not markedly different than elsewhere. In line with previous studies, spinoffs of incumbents perform better than other types of new firms, particularly if their parent firm continues to operate. A novel findings is that the rate of employment growth of spinoffs is greater the larger the size of their parent, which contrast sharply with findings for firms with a single owner.
|Date of creation:||07 Feb 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Research Institute of Industrial Economics, Box 55665, SE-102 15 Stockholm, Sweden|
Phone: +46 8 665 4500
Fax: +46 8 665 4599
Web page: http://www.ifn.se/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael Dahl & Toke Reichstein, 2007.
"Are You Experienced? Prior Experience and the Survival of New Organizations,"
Industry and Innovation,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(5), pages 497-511.
- Michael S. Dahl & Toke Reichstein, 2005. "Are you experienced? Prior experience and the survival of new organizations," DRUID Working Papers 05-01, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Henrekson, Magnus, 2002.
"Entrepreneurship: A Weak Link in the Welfare State,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
518, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 04 Mar 2005.
- Magnus Henrekson, 2005. "Entrepreneurship: a weak link in the welfare state?," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 14(3), pages 437-467, June.
- Henrekson, Magnus, 1996.
"Sweden's Relative Economic Performance: Lagging Behind or Staying on Top?,"
Working Paper Series
460, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Henrekson, Magnus, 1996. "Sweden's Relative Economic Performance: Lagging Behind or Staying on Top?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(439), pages 1747-59, November.
- Hvide, Hans K, 2005.
"The Quality of Entrepreneurs,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4979, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- James R. Markusen, 2004.
"Multinational Firms and the Theory of International Trade,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 0262633078, March.
- Markusen, James R., 2002. "Multinational Firms and the Theory of International Trade," MPRA Paper 8380, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Oana Hirakawa & Marc-Andreas Muendler & James E. Rauch, 2010.
"Employee Spinoffs and Other Entrants: Stylized Facts from Brazil,"
NBER Working Papers
15638, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Muendler, Marc-Andreas & Rauch, James E. & Tocoian, Oana, 2012. "Employee spinoffs and other entrants: Stylized facts from Brazil," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 447-458.
- Oana Hirakawa & Marc-Andreas Muendler & James E. Rauch, 2010. "Employee spinoffs and other entrants: stylized facts from Brazil," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 36384, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- repec:hhs:iuiwop:482 is not listed on IDEAS
- Eriksson, Tor & Moritz Kuhn, Johan, 2006.
"Firm spin-offs in Denmark 1981-2000 -- patterns of entry and exit,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 1021-1040, September.
- Eriksson, Tor & Kuhn, Johan Moritz, 2004. "Firm Spin-offs in Denmark 1981-2000 - Patterns of Entry and Exit," Working Papers 04-6, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Economics.
- von Below, David & Thoursie, Peter Skogman, 2010.
"Last in, first out?: Estimating the effect of seniority rules in Sweden,"
Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 987-997, December.
- von Below, David & Thoursie, Peter, 2008. "Last in, first out? Estimating the effect of seniority rules in Sweden," Working Paper Series 2008:27, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:iuiwop:0902. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elisabeth Gustafsson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.