Is welfare dependency inherited? Estimating the causal welfare transmission effects using Swedish sibling data
This study tests whether individuals who grow up with parents on welfare benefits are themselves more (or less) likely to be welfare recipients as young adults, compared to individuals who grow up in non-welfare households. We use the sibling difference method to identify causal effects separately from the effects of correlated factors. While a descriptive analysis reveals a fairly high positive intergenerational correlation, especially in the late teens and conditional on a large set of household level factors, the sibling analysis provides no support for a causal effect of parents’ welfare benefit receipt on children’s future welfare use.
|Date of creation:||15 Dec 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IFAU, P O Box 513, SE-751 20 Uppsala, Sweden|
Phone: (+46) 18 - 471 70 70
Fax: (+46) 18 - 471 70 71
Web page: http://www.ifau.se/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maloney, Tim & Maani, Sholeh & Pacheco, Gael, 2002.
"Intergenerational Welfare Participation in New Zealand,"
212, Department of Economics, The University of Auckland.
- Tim Maloney & Sholeh Maani & Gail Pacheco, 2003. "Intergenerational Welfare Participation in New Zealand," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(3), pages 346-362, 09.
- JÃ¶rgen Hansen & Magnus Lofstrom, 2010.
"Immigrant Assimilation and Welfare Participation: Do Immigrants Assimilate Into or Out-of Welfare,"
- Jorgen Hansen & Magnus Lofstrom, 2003. "Immigrant Assimilation and Welfare Participation Do Immigrants Assimilate Into or Out of Welfare?," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 38(1).
- Hansen, Jörgen & Lofstrom, Magnus, 1999. "Immigrant Assimilation and Welfare Participation: Do Immigrants Assimilate Into or Out-of Welfare," IZA Discussion Papers 100, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Hansen, Jörgen & Löfström, Magnus, 2000. "Immigrant Assimilation And Welfare Participation: Do Immigrants Assimilate Into Or Out Of Welfare?," CEPR Discussion Papers 2430, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:ifauwp:2011_025. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Monica Fällgren)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.