Do labor market flows affect labor-force participation?
This study examines if the flow rate from open unemployment to labor market programs affect the labor-force participation rate. This question is relevant because Swedish labor-force participation is expected to decline due to the age distribution in the population. A new dataset, with monthly data from Swedish municipalities between 1991:08 and 2002:10, has been constructed. The results show that increased probability of moving from open unemployment to labor market programs has positive effects on the labor-force participation rate. Positive effects are found for different age groups. The estimated effect of the flow rate from open unemployment into labor market programs is countercyclical. The participation rate is procyclical, and counter-cyclical labor market programs could be used to prevent discouraged workers from leaving labor force. The effects of flow rates from programs to open unemployment, and from the job destruction rate are negative, as expected. Income and labor market tightness have positive effects, except for older participants. This is because it is a spurios negative correlation in data for the older participants. In general, the long run levels are achieved after about nine years, and most of the adjustment takes place during the first four years.
|Date of creation:||08 Dec 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IFAU, P O Box 513, SE-751 20 Uppsala, Sweden|
Phone: (+46) 18 - 471 70 70
Fax: (+46) 18 - 471 70 71
Web page: http://www.ifau.se/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Judson, Ruth A. & Owen, Ann L., 1999. "Estimating dynamic panel data models: a guide for macroeconomists," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 9-15, October.
- Holmlund, B. & Linden, J., 1991.
"Job Matching, Temporary Public Employment, and Equilibrium Unemployment,"
1991l, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Holmlund, Bertil & Linden, Johan, 1993. "Job matching, temporary public employment, and equilibrium unemployment," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 329-343, July.
- repec:rus:hseeco:10108 is not listed on IDEAS
- Calmfors, L. & Skedinger, P., 1995.
"Does Active Labour Market Policy Increase Employment? - Theoretical Considerations and Some Empirical Evidence from Sweden,"
590, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Calmfors, Lars & Skedinger, Per, 1995. "Does Active Labour-Market Policy Increase Employment? Theoretical Considerations and Some Empirical Evidence from Sweden," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(1), pages 91-109, Spring.
- Calmfors, Lars & Skedinger, Per, 1995. "Does Active Labor Market Policy Increase Employment? Theoretical Considerations and Some Empirical Evidence from Sweden," Working Paper Series 429, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Burda, Michael & Wyplosz, Charles, 1994.
"Gross worker and job flows in Europe,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 1287-1315, June.
- Lars Calmfors & Anders Forslund & Maria Hemström, 2002.
"Does Active Labour Market Policy Work? Lessons from the Swedish Experiences,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
675, CESifo Group Munich.
- Calmfors, Lars & Forslund, Anders & Hemström, Maria, 2002. "Does active labour market policy work? Lessons from the Swedish experiences," Working Paper Series 2002:4, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Calmfors, Lars & Forslund, Anders & Hemström, Maria, 2002. "Does Active Labour Market Policy Work? Lessons from the Swedish Experiences," Seminar Papers 700, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Peter Diamond, 1992.
"The Flow Approach to Labor Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
4000, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dahlberg, M. & Forslund, A., 1999.
"Direct Displacement Effects of Labour Market Programmes: the Case of Sweden,"
1999:22, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Dahlberg, Matz & Forslund, Anders, 1999. "Direct Displacement Effects of Labour Market Programmes: The Case of Sweden," Working Paper Series 1999:22, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Dahlberg, Matz & Forslund, Anders, 1999. "Direct displacement effects of labour market programmes: the case of Sweden," Working Paper Series 1999:7, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Calmfors, Lars & Lang, Harald, 1995. "Macroeconomic Effects of Active Labour Market Programmes in a Union Wage-Setting Model," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(430), pages 601-19, May.
- repec:hhs:iuiwop:429 is not listed on IDEAS
- Murphy, Kevin M & Topel, Robert H, 1997. "Unemployment and Nonemployment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(2), pages 295-300, May.
- Forslund, Anders & Johansson, Kerstin, 2007. "Random and stock-flow models of labour market matching - Swedish evidence," Working Paper Series 2007:11, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:ifauwp:2006_017. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Monica Fällgren)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.