Second Order Approximation for the Average Marginal Effect of Heckman's Two Step Procedure
In this paper we discuss the differences between the average marginal effect and the marginal effect of the average individual in sample selection models, estimated by Heckman's two step procedure. We show that the bias that emerges as a consequence of interchanging them, could be very significant, even in the limit. We suggest a computationally cheap approximation method, which corrects the bias in a large extent. We illustrate the implications of our method with an empirical application of earnings assimilation and a small Monte Carlo simulation.
|Date of creation:||19 Jan 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Forthcoming in Applied Economics.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics, School of Business, Economics and Law, University of Gothenburg, Box 640, SE 405 30 GÖTEBORG, Sweden|
Phone: 031-773 10 00
Web page: http://www.handels.gu.se/econ/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Heckman, James, 2013.
"Sample selection bias as a specification error,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 31(3), pages 129-137.
- Longva,P. & Raaum,O., 2000.
"Earnings assimilation of immigrants in Norway : a reappraisal,"
05/2000, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Pål Longva & Oddbjørn Raaum, 2003. "Earnings assimilation of immigrants in Norway – A reappraisal," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 16(1), pages 177-193, 02.
- Atanu Saha & Oral Capps & Patrick Byrne, 1997. "Calculating marginal effects in models for zero expenditures in household budgets using a Heckman-type correction," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(10), pages 1311-1316.
- Borjas, George J., 1999. "The economic analysis of immigration," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 28, pages 1697-1760 Elsevier.
- Chiswick, Barry R, 1978. "The Effect of Americanization on the Earnings of Foreign-born Men," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(5), pages 897-921, October.
- Atanu Saha & Oral Capps & Patrick Byrne, 1997. "Calculating marginal effects in dichotomous - continuous models," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(3), pages 181-185.
- Borjas, George J, 1985. "Assimilation, Changes in Cohort Quality, and the Earnings of Immigrants," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 3(4), pages 463-89, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:gunwpe:0239. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie Andersson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.