Does Inflation Targeting Matter for Labour Markets? – Some Empirical Evidence
This paper investigates the impact of inflation targeting on wage formation and unemployment using a panel of 17 OECD countries 1972-2000. Five of the countries included in the study have combined floating exchange rates with explicit inflation targets during the 1990s. Using a theoretical framework for a small open economy, we present simulation results and empirical tests of the model using two different methods. There is some weak evidence that inflation targeting matters for labour markets.
|Date of creation:||17 Sep 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.fief.se/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cukierman, Alex & Lippi, Francesco, 1999.
"Central bank independence, centralization of wage bargaining, inflation and unemployment:: Theory and some evidence,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 43(7), pages 1395-1434, June.
- Cukierman, A. & Lippi, F., 1998. "Central Bank Independence, Centralization of Wage Bargaining, Inflation and Unemployment - Theory and Some Evidence," Discussion Paper 1998-116, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- George J. Bratsiotis & Christopher Martin, .
"Stabilisation, Policy Targets and Unemployment in Imperfectly Competitive Economies,"
Economics and Finance Discussion Papers
98-08, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- Bratsiotis, George & Martin, Christopher, 1999. " Stabilisation, Policy Targets and Unemployment in Imperfectly Competitive Economies," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 101(2), pages 241-56, June.
- Holden,S., 1999.
"Wage setting under different monetary regimes,"
12/1999, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Luca Guerrieri, 2001. "Inflation dynamics," International Finance Discussion Papers 715, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Cottarelli, C. & Giannini, C., 1997. "Credibility without Rules? Monetary Frameworks in the Post-Bretton Woods Era," Papers 312, Banca Italia - Servizio di Studi.
- Frederic S. Mishkin, 2002. "Does inflation targeting matter? - commentary," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jul, pages 149-154.
- Laurence M. Ball & Niamh Sheridan, 2004.
"Does Inflation Targeting Matter?,"
in: The Inflation-Targeting Debate, pages 249-282
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Laurence Ball & Niamh Sheridan, 2003. "Does Inflation Targeting Matter?," NBER Working Papers 9577, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Niamh Sheridan & Laurence M. Ball, 2003. "Does Inflation Targeting Matter?," IMF Working Papers 03/129, International Monetary Fund.
- Laurence Ball & Niamh Sheridan, 2004. "Does inflation targeting matter?," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued) 118, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Chorng-Huey Wong & Eric V. Clifton & H. L. Leon, 2001. "Inflation Targeting and the Unemployment-Inflation Trade-Off," IMF Working Papers 01/166, International Monetary Fund.
- Manfred J.M. Neumann & Jrgen von Hagen, 2002.
"Does inflation targeting matter?,"
Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jul, pages 127-148.
- Lars Calmfors, 2001. "Wages and Wage-Bargaining Institutions in the Emu : A Survey of the Issues," CESifo Working Paper Series 520, CESifo Group Munich.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:fiefwp:0191. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sune Karlsson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.