Beyond Human Capital - The application of human capital in new venture development
Earlier research has identified a variety of human capital dimensions related to the entrepreneur as positively influencing new venture performance. However, in high technology exploitation the entrepreneur is commonly only one person among other highly skilled individuals involved in the development. This longitudinal case study approach focuses on key recruitments contracted due to their earlier experiences needed in the ventures. Two perspectives are taken to approach how earlier experience is applied in new contexts; the drives behind the recruitments, and how new recruitments apply their earlier experiences. Timing, persistence, and transformation appear to be vital in the process of tranferring earlier experiences to new contexts. Timing is related to the early development of the venture, when all individuals are engaged in several different roles. An extension of timing is the challenge of persistance in matching earlier experiences with the entrepreneurial development. Finally, apart from transformation of the knowledge carried by individuals, they do also create their own platforms to work from.
|Date of creation:||17 Mar 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: The Economic Research Institute, Stockholm School of Economics, P.O. Box 6501, SE 113 83 Stockholm, Sweden|
Phone: +46-(0)8-736 90 00
Fax: +46-(0)8-31 01 57
Web page: http://www.hhs.se/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Van de Ven, Andrew H. & Engleman, Rhonda M., 2004. "Event- and outcome-driven explanations of entrepreneurship," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 343-358, May.
- Davidsson, Per & Honig, Benson, 2003. "The role of social and human capital among nascent entrepreneurs," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 301-331, May.
- Watson, Warren & Stewart, Wayne Jr. & BarNir, Anat, 2003. "The effects of human capital, organizational demography, and interpersonal processes on venture partner perceptions of firm profit and growth," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 145-164, March.
- Madhok, Anoop, 1996. "Know-how-, experience- and competition-related considerations in foreign market entry: An exploratory investigation," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 339-366, August.
- Cooper, Arnold C. & Woo, Carolyn Y. & Dunkelberg, William C., 1989. "Entrepreneurship and the initial size of firms," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 4(5), pages 317-332, September.
- Stuart, Robert W. & Abetti, Pier A., 1990. "Impact of entrepreneurial and management experience on early performance," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 151-162, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhb:hastba:2009_006. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helena Lundin)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.