Fake It Till You Make It: Reputation, Competition, and Yelp Review Fraud
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Dina Mayzlin & Yaniv Dover & Judith A. Chevalier, 2012. "Promotional Reviews: An Empirical Investigation of Online Review Manipulation," NBER Working Papers 18340, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Weijia Dai & Ginger Z. Jin & Jungmin Lee & Michael Luca, 2012.
"Aggregation of Consumer Ratings: An Application to Yelp.com,"
NBER Working Papers
18567, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Weijia Dai & Ginger Jin & Jungmin Lee & Michael Luca, 2012. "Aggregation of Consumer Ratings: An Application to Yelp.com," Harvard Business School Working Papers 13-042, Harvard Business School, revised Nov 2017.
- Michael Anderson & Jeremy Magruder, 2012. "Learning from the Crowd: Regression Discontinuity Estimates of the Effects of an Online Review Database," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 122(563), pages 957-989, September.
- Ginger Zhe Jin & Phillip Leslie, 2009. "Reputational Incentives for Restaurant Hygiene," American Economic Journal: Microeconomics, American Economic Association, vol. 1(1), pages 237-267, February.
- Anindya Ghose & Panagiotis G. Ipeirotis & Beibei Li, 2012. "Designing Ranking Systems for Hotels on Travel Search Engines by Mining User-Generated and Crowdsourced Content," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 31(3), pages 493-520, May.
- Bryan Bollinger & Phillip Leslie & Alan Sorensen, 2011.
"Calorie Posting in Chain Restaurants,"
American Economic Journal: Economic Policy,
American Economic Association, vol. 3(1), pages 91-128, February.
- Bollinger, Bryan & Leslie, Phillip & Sorensen, Alan, 2010. "Calorie Posting in Chain Restaurants," Working Papers 56693, American Association of Wine Economists.
- Bryan Bollinger & Phillip Leslie & Alan Sorensen, 2010. "Calorie Posting in Chain Restaurants," NBER Working Papers 15648, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chrysanthos Dellarocas, 2006. "Strategic Manipulation of Internet Opinion Forums: Implications for Consumers and Firms," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 52(10), pages 1577-1593, October.
- Mark Duggan & Steven D. Levitt, 2002.
"Winning Isn't Everything: Corruption in Sumo Wrestling,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 92(5), pages 1594-1605, December.
- Mark Duggan & Steven D. Levitt, 2000. "Winning Isn't Everything: Corruption in Sumo Wrestling," NBER Working Papers 7798, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mundlak, Yair, 1978. "On the Pooling of Time Series and Cross Section Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 69-85, January.
- Xinxin Li & Lorin M. Hitt, 2008. "Self-Selection and Information Role of Online Product Reviews," Information Systems Research, INFORMS, vol. 19(4), pages 456-474, December.
- Hausman, J. A. & Abrevaya, Jason & Scott-Morton, F. M., 1998. "Misclassification of the dependent variable in a discrete-response setting," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 239-269, September.
- David Godes & José C. Silva, 2012. "Sequential and Temporal Dynamics of Online Opinion," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 31(3), pages 448-473, May.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dobrescu, Loretti I. & Luca, Michael & Motta, Alberto, 2013. "What makes a critic tick? Connected authors and the determinants of book reviews," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 96(C), pages 85-103.
- repec:eee:tefoso:v:125:y:2017:i:c:p:66-76 is not listed on IDEAS
- Michael Luca, 2016. "Designing Online Marketplaces: Trust and Reputation Mechanisms," Harvard Business School Working Papers 17-017, Harvard Business School.
- Alex Wood-Doughty, 2016. "Do Employers Learn from Public, Subjective, Performance Reviews?," Working Papers 16-11, NET Institute.
- repec:eee:touman:v:58:y:2017:i:c:p:51-65 is not listed on IDEAS
- Benjamin Edelman & Micahel Luca, 2014. "Digital Discrimination: The Case of Airbnb.com," Harvard Business School Working Papers 14-054, Harvard Business School.
- Amedeo Piolatto, 2015. "Online booking and information: competition and welfare consequences of review aggregators," Working Papers 2015/11, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
More about this item
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-07-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-IND-2013-07-20 (Industrial Organization)
- NEP-MKT-2013-07-20 (Marketing)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hbs:wpaper:14-006. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Soebagio Notosoehardjo). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/harbsus.html .