Competitiveness and comparative advantage in Hungarian agriculture
We examine the competitiveness of Hungarian agriculture in relation to that of the EU, based on four indices of revealed comparative advantage, for the period 1992 to 1998. Consistency tests suggest that the indices are less satisfactory as cardinal and ordinal measures, but are useful in identifying whether or not Hungary has a comparative advantage in a particular product group. Despite significant changes in Hungarian agriculture during the 1990s, the results indicate that the pattern of comparative advantage has remained stable. Our findings suggest that Hungary has a comparative advantage for live animals and meat, but not for cereals, contradicting the findings of previous studies which have used different approaches to measuring competitiveness.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2001|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1112 Budapest, Budaorsi ut 45.|
Phone: (+36-1) 309-2652
Fax: (36-1) 319-3136
Web page: http://econ.core.hu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tyers,Rod & Anderson,Kym, 2011.
"Disarray in World Food Markets,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521172318.
- Tyers,Rod & Anderson,Kym, 1992. "Disarray in World Food Markets," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521351058.
- Hoekman, Bernard & Djankov, Simeon, 1997. "Determinants of the Export Structure of Countries in Central and Eastern Europe," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 11(3), pages 471-487, September.
- Gual, Jordi & Martín, Carmela, 1994. "Trade and Foreign Direct Investment with Central and Eastern Europe: Its Impact on Spain," CEPR Discussion Papers 1006, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Thomas Vollrath, 1991. "A theoretical evaluation of alternative trade intensity measures of revealed comparative advantage," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 127(2), pages 265-280, June.
- E. Wesley F. Peterson & Siva Rama Krishna Valluru, 2000. "Agricultural Comparative Advantage and Government Policy Interventions," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(3), pages 371-387. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:has:discpr:0102. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Adrienn Foldi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.