Upcoding and heterogeneity in hospitals’ response: A Natural Experiment
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Chalkley, Martin & Malcomson, James M., 1998.
"Contracting for health services when patient demand does not reflect quality,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 1-19, January.
- Chalkley, M. & Malcomson, J.M., 1995. "Contracting for health services when patient demand does not reflect quality," Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics 9514, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Boyd H. Gilman, 1999. "Measuring Hospital Cost-Sharing Incentives Under Refined Prospective Payment," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(3), pages 433-452, September.
- Mougeot, Michel & Naegelen, Florence, 2008.
"Supply-side risk adjustment and outlier payment policy,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 1196-1200, September.
- Michel Mougeot & Florence Naegelen, 2008. "Supply side risk adjustment and outlier payment policy," Post-Print hal-00448482, HAL.
- Street, Andrew & Maynard, Alan, 2007. "Activity based financing in England: the need for continual refinement of payment by results," Health Economics, Policy and Law, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(4), pages 419-427, October.
- Alan M. Garber & Jonathan Skinner, 2008. "Is American Health Care Uniquely Inefficient?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 22(4), pages 27-50, Fall.
- Randall P. Ellis & Marian Vidal-Fernadez, 2007. "Response: Activity-Based Payments and Reforms of the English Hospital Payment System," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series WP2007-035, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Carine Milcent, 2014. "Coût des soins hospitaliers : effet de la concurrence par la qualité," PSE Working Papers halshs-01010327, HAL.
- Leemore S. Dafny, 2005. "How Do Hospitals Respond to Price Changes?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(5), pages 1525-1547, December.
- Pope, Gregory C., 1989. "Hospital nonprice competition and medicare reimbursement policy," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 147-172, June.
- Reinhard Busse & Alexander Geissler & Anne Mason & Zeynep Or & David Scheller‐Kreinsen & Andrew Street & Andrew Street & Conrad Kobel & Thomas Renaud & Josselin Thuilliez, 2012.
"How Well Do Diagnosis‐Related Groups Explain Variations In Costs Or Length Of Stay Among Patients And Across Hospitals? Methods For Analysing Routine Patient Data,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21, pages 6-18, August.
- Andrew Street & Conrad Kobel & Thomas Renaud & Josselin Thuilliez, 2012. "How well do diagnosis-related groups explain variations in costs or length of stay among patients and across hospitals? Methods for analysing routine patient data," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00719777, HAL.
- Steinbusch, Paul J.M. & Oostenbrink, Jan B. & Zuurbier, Joost J. & Schaepkens, Frans J.M., 2007. "The risk of upcoding in casemix systems: A comparative study," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 81(2-3), pages 289-299, May.
- Ma, Ching-to Albert, 1994.
"Health Care Payment Systems: Cost and Quality Incentives,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(1), pages 93-112, Spring.
- Ching-to Albert Ma, 1994. "Health Care Payment Systems: Cost and Quality Incentives," Papers 0047, Boston University - Industry Studies Programme.
- Silverman, Elaine & Skinner, Jonathan, 2004. "Medicare upcoding and hospital ownership," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 369-389, March.
- Ellis, Randall P. & Vidal-Fernã Ndez, Marian, 2007. "Activity-based payments and reforms of the English hospital payment system," Health Economics, Policy and Law, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(4), pages 435-444, October.
- Xirasagar, Sudha & Lin, Herng-Ching, 2006. "Effects of payment incentives, hospital ownership and competition on hospitalization decisions for ambulatory surgical procedures," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 76(1), pages 26-37, March.
- Boyd H. Gilman, 2000. "Hospital response to DRG refinements: the impact of multiple reimbursement incentives on inpatient length of stay," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(4), pages 277-294.
- Carine Milcent, 2014. "Coût des soins hospitaliers : effet de la concurrence par la qualité," Working Papers halshs-01010327, HAL.
- Mark Duggan, 2002. "Hospital Market Structure and the Behavior of Not-For-Profit Hospitals," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 33(3), pages 433-446, Autumn.
More about this item
KeywordsHospital stays; Diagnosis-related groups (DRGs); Upcoding; heterogeneity in responses;
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:halshs-01340557. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD). General contact details of provider: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/ .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.