Monetary Policy and Value Judgments : Did we forget Myrdal's legacy ?
Myrdal's works are usually analysed with a dual and separated point of view : on the one hand the methodological papers concerning the value problem and based on a strong non neutrality thesis ; on the other part the theoretical analysis concerning monetary theory and policy, with a Wicksellian filiation. In fact both the dimensions are strongly connected by a common way : the application of the Hägerström's Swedish guillotine between is and ought, but also the construction of a bridge between economic science and political views on social engineering and economic policy. Myrdal wants to address this problem : how economic science can become politically relevant ? This paper analyses two stages of that unique project : the proposition of a "technology of economics" (1930), and the selection process for a "norm for monetary policy" (1939). It shows that Myrdal distorts an initial end and means scheme by proposing some intermediary concepts between positive and normative fields. From a theoretical and statistical framework and an explicit value judgment these concepts enable to elaborate an iterative tree of selection of a speci-c monetary policy. If the Myrdal's project encounters difficulties in conciliating a non-cognitivist thesis with economic prescriptions and in proposing a tractable method, it remains an important benchmark for the analysis of the links between positive and normative views concerning monetary policy.
|Date of creation:||26 Feb 2014|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00952009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lars E O Svensson, 2005.
"Monetary Policy with Judgment: Forecast Targeting,"
International Journal of Central Banking,
International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 1(1), May.
- Svensson, Lars E. O., 2005. "Monetary policy with judgment: forecast targeting," Working Paper Series 0476, European Central Bank.
- Lars E.O. Svensson, 2005. "Monetary Policy with Judgment: Forecast Targeting," NBER Working Papers 11167, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Svensson, Lars O, 2005. "Monetary Policy with Judgment: Forecast Targeting," MPRA Paper 819, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Svensson, Lars E O, 2005. "Monetary Policy with Judgement: Forecast Targeting," CEPR Discussion Papers 5072, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Antoinette Baujard, 2013. "Value judgments and economics expertise," Working Papers 1314, Groupe d'Analyse et de Théorie Economique (GATE), Centre national de la recherche scientifique (CNRS), Université Lyon 2, Ecole Normale Supérieure.
- Antoinette Baujard, 2015. "Value judgment and economics expertise," Post-Print halshs-01136356, HAL.
- Antoinette Baujard, 2015. "Value judgments and economics expertise," Post-Print halshs-01148762, HAL.
- Antoinette Baujard, 2014. "Value judgments and economics expertise," Post-Print halshs-01087481, HAL.
- Antoinette Baujard, 2014. "Value judgment and economics expertise," Post-Print halshs-01103236, HAL.
- Antoinette Baujard, 2014. "Value judgment and economics expertise," Post-Print halshs-01103223, HAL.
- Antoinette Baujard, 2013. "Value judgments and economics expertise," Working Papers halshs-00803552, HAL.
- Pier Francesco Asso & Robert Leeson, 2012. "Monetary Policy Rules - From Adam Smith to John Taylor," Book Chapters, in: Evan F. Koenig & Robert Leeson & George A. Kahn (ed.), The Taylor Rule and the Transformation of Monetary Policy, chapter 2 Hoover Institution, Stanford University.
- Jonung, Lars, 1979. "Knut wicksell's norm of price stabilization and Swedish monetary policy in the 1930's," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 459-496, October.
- Pier Francesco Asso & George A. Kahn & Robert Leeson, 2007. "The Taylor rule and the transformation of monetary policy," Research Working Paper RWP 07-11, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Lars Pålsson Syll, 1998. "Myrdal's Immanent Critique of Utility Theory," History of Political Economy, Duke University Press, vol. 30(3), pages 413-426, Fall.
- Hans-Michael Trautwein, 2011. "From Austrian Economics To The Swedish Welfare State: Wicksellian Views On Money And Income Distribution," Cahiers d’économie politique / Papers in Political Economy, L'Harmattan, issue 61, pages 51-90. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:halshs-00952009. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.