Money, Banking and Dynamics: Two Wicksellian routes from Mises to Hayek and Schumpeter
This paper examines and compares, in both historical and theoretical perspectives, Hayek and Schumpeter's account of the role played by banks and credit in their respective explanations of business cycles. The first section is focused on the common inheritance ofthese two authors, which can be traced back to Wicksell, going from Mises whose Theory of Money and Credit provides, as we shall see, a crucial link in this perspective.The two following sections deal with Hayek and Schumpeter's respective accounts as well ascritical reconstruction of this tradition. A close examination of their respective treatments ofthe banking system and its effects on economic productive structures then allows to see in anew light the theoretical question of the impact of credit on economic dynamics and its related policy proposals in a different light. The last section is dedicated to a comparison between Hayek and Schumpeter's views of the dynamics of monetary economies and their corresponding policy issues.
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Publication status:||Published in The American Journal of Economics and Sociology, 2002, 61 (2), pp.439-480|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00271372|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Laidler,David, 1999.
"Fabricating the Keynesian Revolution,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521641739, Diciembre.
- Laidler,David, 1999. "Fabricating the Keynesian Revolution," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521645966, Diciembre.
- Hans-Michael Trautwein, 1996. "Money, Equilibrium, and the Business Cycle: Hayek's Wicksellian Dichotomy," History of Political Economy, Duke University Press, vol. 28(1), pages 27-55, Spring.
- Hicks, J. R., 1979. "Critical Essays in Monetary Theory," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198284239, April.
- Laidler, D., 1992. "Hayek on Neutral Money and the Cycle," UWO Department of Economics Working Papers 9206, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Marina Colonna & Harald Hagemann, 1995. "The Economics of F.A. Hayek," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, volume 0, number 101, July.
- White, Lawrence H, 1999. "Hayek's Monetary Theory and Policy: A Critical Reconstruction," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 31(1), pages 109-120, February. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)