Money, Banking and Dynamics: Two Wicksellian routes from Mises to Hayek and Schumpeter
This paper examines and compares, in both historical and theoretical perspectives, Hayek and Schumpeter's account of the role played by banks and credit in their respective explanations of business cycles. The first section is focused on the common inheritance ofthese two authors, which can be traced back to Wicksell, going from Mises whose Theory of Money and Credit provides, as we shall see, a crucial link in this perspective.The two following sections deal with Hayek and Schumpeter's respective accounts as well ascritical reconstruction of this tradition. A close examination of their respective treatments ofthe banking system and its effects on economic productive structures then allows to see in anew light the theoretical question of the impact of credit on economic dynamics and its related policy proposals in a different light. The last section is dedicated to a comparison between Hayek and Schumpeter's views of the dynamics of monetary economies and their corresponding policy issues.
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Publication status:||Published in The American Journal of Economics and Sociology, 2002, 61 (2), pp.439-480|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00271372|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- White, Lawrence H, 1999. "Hayek's Monetary Theory and Policy: A Critical Reconstruction," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 31(1), pages 109-120, February.
- Laidler, D., 1992. "Hayek on Neutral Money and the Cycle," UWO Department of Economics Working Papers 9206, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Laidler,David, 1999.
"Fabricating the Keynesian Revolution,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521645966, October.
- Hicks, J. R., 1979. "Critical Essays in Monetary Theory," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198284239, December.
- Hans-Michael Trautwein, 1996. "Money, Equilibrium, and the Business Cycle: Hayek's Wicksellian Dichotomy," History of Political Economy, Duke University Press, vol. 28(1), pages 27-55, Spring.
- Marina Colonna & Harald Hagemann, 1995. "The Economics of F.A. Hayek," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, volume 0, number 101.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:halshs-00271372. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.