Macroeconomic analysis and individual economic rationality: some lessons from Wicksell to Schumpeter and von Mises
The purpose of this contribution is to investigate the problem of the room attributed to individual economic rationality by circulation approaches. Our investigation will not privilege however the modern contributions of this approach but will instead utilize the works of some economists of the past, namely, Knut Wicksell, Josef Schumpeter and Ludwig von Mises. Our first section will recall how the modern ‘circulation approach' considers the problem of the compatibility between economic individual rationality and macroeconomic analysis and how this problem emerged in Wicksell's original theory of a pure credit economy. Section 2 will focus on the transition from Schumpeter's circular flow to economic development and show how it is directly related to the problem of economic rationality. Section 3 will show that Mises' conception of economic progress emphasizes the importance of consumers and producers' individual behaviours. In the last section, we will finally draw some conclusions from our previous investigation of Wicksell, Schumpeter and Mises' works and confront them to the developments of the modern circulation approach.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Publication status:||Published in G. Fontana and R. Realfonzo. The Monetary Theory of Production: Tradition and Perspectives, Routledge, pp.23-38, 2005|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00271370|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Edward J. Nell, 1967. "Wicksell's Theory of Circulation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 75, pages 386-386.
- Pierre Garrouste & Stavros Iaonnides, 2001. "Evolution and Path-Dependency in Economic Ideas: Past and Present," Post-Print halshs-00274526, HAL.
- Graziani,Augusto, 2003. "The Monetary Theory of Production," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521812115, October.
- Richard Arena & Sandye Gloria-Palermo, 2007. "Evolutionary Themes in the Austrian Tradition: Menger, von Wieser and Schumpeter on Institutions and Rationality," Chapters,in: The Evolution of Economic Institutions, chapter 11 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Enrico Santarelli & Enzo Pesciarelli, 1990. "The Emergence of a Vision: The Development of Schumpeter's Theory of Entrepreneurship," History of Political Economy, Duke University Press, vol. 22(4), pages 677-696, Winter.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:halshs-00271370. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.