Optimal order placement in limit order markets
To execute a trade, participants in electronic equity markets may choose to submit limit orders or market orders across various exchanges where a stock is traded. This decision is influenced by the characteristics of the order flow and queue sizes in each limit order book, as well as the structure of transaction fees and rebates across exchanges. We propose a quantitative framework for studying this order placement problem by formulating it as a convex optimization problem. This formulation allows to study how the interplay between the state of order books, the fee structure, order flow properties and preferences of a trader determine the optimal placement decision. In the case of a single exchange, we derive an explicit solution for the optimal split between limit and market orders. For the general problem of order placement across multiple exchanges, we propose a stochastic algorithm for computing the optimal policy and study the sensitivity of the solution to various parameters using a numerical implementation of the algorithm.
|Date of creation:||2012/10/01|
|Publication status:||Published in 2012|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00737491v2|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Erhan Bayraktar & Michael Ludkovski, 1/05.
"Liquidation in Limit Order Books with Controlled Intensity,"
1105.0247, arXiv.org, revised 2012/01.
- Erhan Bayraktar & Michael Ludkovski, 2014. "Liquidation In Limit Order Books With Controlled Intensity," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(4), pages 627-650, October.
- Foucault, Thierry & Menkveld, Albert, 2006.
"Competition for order flow and smart order routing systems,"
Les Cahiers de Recherche
831, HEC Paris.
- Thierry Foucault & Albert J. Menkveld, 2008. "Competition for Order Flow and Smart Order Routing Systems," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 63(1), pages 119-158, 02.
- Thierry Foucault & Albert J. Menkveld, 8/02. "Competition for Order Flow and Smart Order Routing Systems," Post-Print hal-00459801, HAL.
- Foucault, Thierry & Menkveld, Albert J., 2006. "Competition for Order Flow and Smart Order Routing Systems," CEPR Discussion Papers 5523, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Thierry Foucault, 2010. "Competition for Order Flow and Smart Order Routing Systems," Post-Print hal-00554030, HAL.
- Aurelien Alfonsi & Antje Fruth & Alexander Schied, 2010. "Optimal execution strategies in limit order books with general shape functions," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(2), pages 143-157.
- Fabien Guilbaud & Huy\^en Pham, 2/05. "Optimal High Frequency Trading in a Pro-Rata Microstructure with Predictive Information," Papers 1205.3051, arXiv.org.
- Anna Obizhaeva & Jiang Wang, 2005.
"Optimal Trading Strategy and Supply/Demand Dynamics,"
NBER Working Papers
11444, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Obizhaeva, Anna A. & Wang, Jiang, 2013. "Optimal trading strategy and supply/demand dynamics," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 1-32.
- Sophie Laruelle & Charles-Albert Lehalle & Gilles Pag\`es, 9/10.
"Optimal split of orders across liquidity pools: a stochastic algorithm approach,"
0910.1166, arXiv.org, revised 2010/05.
- Sophie Laruelle & Charles-Albert Lehalle & Gilles Pagès, 2010. "Optimal split of orders across liquidity pools: a stochastic algorithm approach," Working Papers hal-00422427, HAL.
- Aur\'elien Alfonsi & Antje Fruth & Alexander Schied, 7/08. "Optimal execution strategies in limit order books with general shape functions," Papers 0708.1756, arXiv.org, revised 2010/02.
- Fabien Guilbaud & Huyên Pham, 5/14. "Optimal High Frequency Trading in a Pro-Rata Microstructure with Predictive Information," Working Papers hal-00697125, HAL.
- Olivier Guéant & Charles-Albert Lehalle, 2015.
"General Intensity Shapes In Optimal Liquidation,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(3), pages 457-495, 07.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:hal-00737491. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.