How to manage multiple interdepedent agents
We analyze a simple firm model in a principal multiagent framework under adverse selection. The firm's efficiency depends on the effort devoted to productive activities as well as on the fit between the divisions, for which costly coordination actions can be undertaken. The specificity of the model is that the hidden information may not be ranked objectively, as opposed to more standard models which assume the Spence-Mirrlees condition. This specificity ordinarily induces a non-monotous rent profile over the types and might lead to pooling. Nonetheless, a sufficient condition is given for the rents to be completely eliminated. It is related to the Principal's ability to create ''bayesian'' countervailing incentives.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00242983|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Itoh, Hideshi, 1992. "Cooperation in Hierarchical Organizations: An Incentive Perspective," Journal of Law, Economics, and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 8(2), pages 321-345, April.
- Milgrom, Paul & Roberts, John, 1995. "Complementarities and fit strategy, structure, and organizational change in manufacturing," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 179-208, April.
- Itoh, Hideshi, 1991. "Incentives to Help in Multi-agent Situations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(3), pages 611-636, May.
- Demski, Joel S. & Sappington, David, 1984. "Optimal incentive contracts with multiple agents," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 152-171, June.
- Sappington, David & Demski, Joel S., 1983. "Multi-agent control in perfectly correlated environments," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 325-330.
- Choi, Yoon K., 1993. "Managerial incentive contracts with a production externality," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 37-42.
- Lewis, Tracy R. & Sappington, David E. M., 1989. "Countervailing incentives in agency problems," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 294-313, December.
- Arrow, Kenneth J, 1985. "Informational Structure of the Firm," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(2), pages 303-307, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:hal-00242983. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.