The geometry of global production and factor price equalisation
We consider a production economy where commodities are partitioned into irreproducible factors and reproducible goods, and the production technologies have constant returns to scale. We examine the geometry of the efficient frontier of the global production set and derive theorems of nonsubstitution type. We complement the geometric viewpoint by an algebraic characterization of the efficient frontier, that put emphasis on the "factors values" of goods. We analyse the connections between the prices of goods and the prices of factors. In particular, we show that if the number of goods is at least twice as large as the number of factors, then, generically, the prices of goods uniquely determine the prices of factors.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00589105|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kevin H. O'Rourke & Jeffrey G. Williamson, 1999.
"The Heckscher-Ohlin Model Between 1400 and 2000: When It Explained Factor Price Convergence, When It Did Not, and Why,"
NBER Working Papers
7411, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- O'Rourke, K.H. & Williamson, J.G., 1999. "The Heckscher-Ohlin Model Between 1400 and 2000: When it Explained Factor Price Convergence, Ehen it Did not, and Why," Papers 99/25, College Dublin, Department of Political Economy-.
- O'Rourke, Kevin Hjortshøj & Williamson, Jeffrey G, 2000. "The Heckscher-Ohlin Model Between 1400 and 2000: When It Explained Factor Price Convergence, When It Did Not, and Why," CEPR Discussion Papers 2372, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kehoe, Timothy J, 1983. "Regularity and Index Theory for Economies with Smooth Production Technologies," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(4), pages 895-917, July.
- O'Rourke, Kevin H & Taylor, Alan M & Williamson, Jeffrey G, 1996. "Factor Price Convergence in the Late Nineteenth Century," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 37(3), pages 499-530, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:psewpa:halshs-00589105. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.