Some specific Austrian insights on markets and the "new economy"
In section 1 of this contribution, we will recall the usual arguments which are put forward to analyze the New Economy (NE) as the empirical realization of the Competitive Economic Equilibrium (CEE) model. After having stressed the limits of these arguments, we will try to show that some Austrian concepts and developments better fit to explain the economic impact of Information Technologies on present markets. This purpose is characterized in section 2 of this contribution. Finally, in section 3, we will refer to some concrete examples taken from the reality of electronic markets, in order to emphasize how these concepts and developments allow a better understanding of the working of markets in the NE, even if they exhibit some limitation.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Publication status:||Published in J. Birner and P. Garrouste. Austrian Perspectives on the New Economy, Routledge, pp.221-240, 2004|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00271371|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael Smith & Erik Brynjolfsson, 1999.
"Frictionless Commerce? A Comparison of Internet and Conventional Retailers,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 1999
1022, Society for Computational Economics.
- Erik Brynjolfsson & Michael D. Smith, 2000. "Frictionless Commerce? A Comparison of Internet and Conventional Retailers," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(4), pages 563-585, April.
- Pierre Garrouste, 1999. "La firme 'hayékienne' entre institution et organisation," Post-Print halshs-00274292, HAL.
- Birner Jack, 1995. "The surprising place of cognitive psychology in the work of F.A. Hayek," Research Memorandum 019, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Pierre Garrouste, 1999. "Is the Hayekian evolutionnism coherent?," Post-Print halshs-00274293, HAL.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:halshs-00271371. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.