Controlling managers' 'becoming': the practice of identity regulation
I explore here the process of controlling managers 'becoming' through the practices of identity regulation. My focus is on how identity regulation is performed through individuals' concrete actions. Through a qualitative longitudinal study on managerial training, three contributions are offered. Identity regulation discourses are performed through micro-practices showing that identity regulation is far from being a top-down process; identity regulation practices are sustained by "side" practices which secure organizational members' participation and enactment of these discourses; finally, identity work is not only an autonomous and individual process and it can be a deliberate target of identity regulation practices.
|Date of creation:||01 Aug 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in François-Xavier de Vaujany et Nathalie Mitev. Materiality and Space, Palgrave, pp.314-340, 2013, 9781137304087|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00849533|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Patrizia Zanoni & Maddy Janssens, 2007. "Minority Employees Engaging with (Diversity) Management: An Analysis of Control, Agency, and Micro-Emancipation," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(8), pages 1371-1397, December.
- Empson, Laura, 2004. "Organizational identity change: managerial regulation and member identification in an accounting firm acquisition," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 29(8), pages 759-781, November.
- Whittington, Richard, 2011. "The practice turn in organization research: Towards a disciplined transdisciplinarity," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 183-186, April.
- Mats Alvesson, 2002. "Identity Regulation as Organizational Control: Producing the Appropriate Individual," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(5), pages 619-644, 07.
- Andrew D. Brown, 2006. "A Narrative Approach to Collective Identities," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(4), pages 731-753, 06.
- Gendron, Yves & Spira, Laura F., 2010. "Identity narratives under threat: A study of former members of Arthur Andersen," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 275-300, April.
- Gill Musson & Joanne Duberley, 2007. "Change, Change or Be Exchanged: The Discourse of Participation and the Manufacture of Identity," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(1), pages 143-164, 01.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:hal-00849533. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.