L'éthique (médicale) est elle soluble dans le calcul économique?
This article aims to explain medical ethics with tools of the economic theory. It first considers how economic concepts of preference or “social capital” may be referred to explain ethical attitude of a physician. It presents an evaluation of the relevance of economic calculus (costadvantage analysis) in making ethics an economic item. An original analysis of ethics as an “interpretative frame” is proposed. Implications on the role of institutions and health policy are then derived: institutions are viewed as frames for evaluation of agents and not pure prescription of behaviours.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Economie Appliquée, Presses de l'ISMEA, 2003, 2 (3), pp.161-186|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00442960|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Amartya Sen, 1997.
"Maximization and the Act of Choice,"
Econometric Society, vol. 65(4), pages 745-780, July.
- Sen, A., 1996. "Maximisation and the Act of Choice," Papers 270, Banca Italia - Servizio di Studi.
- Amartya Sen, 1996. "Maximization and the Act of Choice," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1766, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Scott, Anthony & Vick, Sandra, 1999. "Patients, Doctors and Contracts: An Application of Principal-Agent Theory to the Doctor-Patient Relationship," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 46(2), pages 111-34, May.
- Jon Elster, 1998. "Emotions and Economic Theory," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 36(1), pages 47-74, March.
- Elster, Jon, 1989. "Social Norms and Economic Theory," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 3(4), pages 99-117, Fall.
- Vick, Sandra & Scott, Anthony, 1998. "Agency in health care. Examining patients' preferences for attributes of the doctor-patient relationship," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 587-605, October.
- Becker, Gary S, 1981. "Altruism in the Family and Selfishness in the Market Place," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 48(189), pages 1-15, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:hal-00442960. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.