Un travail qui ne compte pas ? La valorisation monétaire du bénévolat associatif
Volunteering is considered first as a gift of time but the world of the gift does not generally fit into the framework of the economic calculation. Yet, volunteer work represents an important productive resource which is taken into account by voluntary associations and nonprofit institutions. This paper intends to estimate its money value. First, the difficulties raised by such an exercise are examined. They result from the lack of regularity and from the heterogeneity of surveys on volunteering. These difficulties also originate in the conceivable methods for attributing a money value to activities which, by nature, are extraneous to this type of measurement. These difficulties are not insurmountable provided statisticians agree about shared conventions. Secondly, the paper gives a money value to French association volunteering, drawing on an association survey carried out by a research team from the Sorbonne Economics Centre. Results show that voluntary work accounts for from 1 % to 2 % of GDP according to the method chosen for this exercise of valuation. This amount represents about from 50% to 80% of the wages paid to the employees of associations and, in any case, it greatly outweighs the donations of money.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2010|
|Publication status:||Published in Travail et Emploi, DARES, 2010, pp.57-67|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00550382|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Edith Archambault, 2002. "Le travail bénévole en France et en Europe," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00118632, HAL.
- Jean Gadrey & Florence Jany-Catrice, 2005.
"Les nouveaux indicateurs de richesse,"
- George A. Akerlof, 1982. "Labor Contracts as Partial Gift Exchange," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 97(4), pages 543-569.
- France Caillavet, 1998. "La production domestique des femmes réduit l'inégalité des revenus familiaux," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 311(1), pages 75-89.
- Archambault, E., 2000. "Foundations in France," Papiers d'Economie MathÃ©matique et Applications 2000.43, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Bernard Berg & Werner Brouwer & Marc Koopmanschap, 2004. "Economic valuation of informal care," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer;Deutsche Gesellschaft für Gesundheitsökonomie (DGGÖ), vol. 5(1), pages 36-45, February.
- Chadeau, Ann, 1985. "Measuring Household Activities: Some International Comparisons," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 31(3), pages 237-253, September.
- Osberg, L. & Sharpe, A., 1998. "An Index of Economic Well-being for Canada," Department of Economics at Dalhousie University working papers archive 98-08, Dalhousie, Department of Economics.
- Lionel Prouteau & François-Charles Wolff, 2004.
"Le travail bénévole : un essai de quantification et de valorisation,"
Économie et Statistique,
Programme National Persée, vol. 373(1), pages 33-56.
- Lionel Prouteau & François-Charles Wolff, 2004. " Le travail bénévole : un essai de quantification et de valorisation ," Post-Print hal-00973963, HAL.
- Edith Archambault & Lionel Prouteau, 2009. "Mesurer le bénévolat pour en améliorer la connaissance et satisfaire à une recommandation internationale," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00366314, HAL.
- Ann Chadeau & Annie Fouquet & Claude Thélot, 1981. "Peut-on mesurer le travail domestique ?," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 136(1), pages 29-42.
- Gabrielle Fack & Camille Landais, 2009. "Les incitations fiscales aux dons sont-elles efficaces ?," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 427(1), pages 101-121.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:cesptp:halshs-00550382. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.