Measuring the Returns of Research and Development: An Empirical Study of the German Manufacturing Sector over 45 Years
Motivated by recent statistics that show significant growth in labor productivity, this paper seeks to analyze the relationship between domestic R&D, knowledge stock and productivity dynamics. Time series data of the German manufacturing industry is used to estimate a variable cost function with the stock of knowledge being dependent upon current and past R&D spending. The estimates indicate that 50 percent of the effects of R&D on the knowledge stock appear within four years. However, the rate of return on R&D are shown to be drastically declining; recent rates of return on R&D are estimated to have reached an all-time low spanning the last 45 years. Current yields of R&D are only one third compared to the sixties. In conclusion, though the productivity slowdown of the seventies seems to have been overcome, this is not attributed to R&D investments.
|Date of creation:||May 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://mgt.guc.edu.eg/economics/RePEc/guc/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zvi Griliches, 1979.
"Issues in Assessing the Contribution of Research and Development to Productivity Growth,"
Bell Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 10(1), pages 92-116, Spring.
- Zvi Griliches, 1998. "Issues in Assessing the Contribution of Research and Development to Productivity Growth," NBER Chapters, in: R&D and Productivity: The Econometric Evidence, pages 17-45 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David B. audretsch & Erik E. Lehmann, 2005. "Mansfield's Missing Link: The Impact of Knowledge Spillovers on Firm Growth," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 30(2_2), pages 207-210, 01.
- Beise, Marian & Stahl, Harald, 1999.
"Public research and industrial innovations in Germany,"
Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 397-422, April.
- Beise, Marian & Stahl, Harald, 1998. "Public research and industrial innovations in Germany," ZEW Discussion Papers 98-37, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Bronwyn H. Hall & Jacques Mairesse, 1992.
"Exploring the Relationship Between R&D and Productivity in French Manufacturing Firms,"
NBER Working Papers
3956, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hall, Bronwyn H. & Mairesse, Jacques, 1995. "Exploring the relationship between R&D and productivity in French manufacturing firms," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 263-293, January.
- Audretsch, David B & Lehmann, Erik E, 2005.
"Do Locational Spillovers Pay? Empirical Evidence from German IPO Data,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4949, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- David Audretsch & Erik Lehmann, 2006. "Do locational spillovers pay? empirical evidence from German IPO data," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(1), pages 71-81.
- Gebhard Flaig & Horst Rottmann, 2000.
"Input Demand and the Short- and Long-Run Employment Thresholds. An Empirical Analysis for the German Manufacturing Sector,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
264, CESifo Group Munich.
- Gebhardt Flaig & Horst Rottmann, 2001. "Input Demand and the Short- and Long-Run Employment Thresholds: An Empirical Analysis for the German Manufacturing Sector," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 2(4), pages 367-384, November.
- Flaig, Gebhard & Rottmann, Horst, 2001. "Input demand and the short and long-run employment thresholds: An empirical analysis for the German manufacturing sector," Munich Reprints in Economics 20372, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Chambers,Robert G., 1988. "Applied Production Analysis," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521314275, November.
- Flaig, Gebhard & Steiner, Viktor, 1993.
"Searching for the "Productivity Slowdown": Some Surprising Findings from West German Manufacturing,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 75(1), pages 57-65, February.
- Flaig, Gebhard & Steiner, Viktor, 1993. "Searching for the \"productivity slowdown’: some surprising findings from West German manufacturing," Munich Reprints in Economics 20364, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Popp, David C., 2001. "The effect of new technology on energy consumption," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 215-239, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:guc:wpaper:10. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lobna Sameer)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.