Institutions and the environment: the case for a historical political economy
This paper provides a critical review of the ‘state of the art’ of institutional analysis applied essentially by social-ecological economists in the environmental domain. It highlights both areas of strength and issues where there is still room for improvement in analytical terms, by construing these approaches in the context of a general taxonomy of institutionalisms – widely used in politics and applied here in the economic realm. This provides the rationale for re-construing a number of related issues drawn from the core insights of a historical institutionalist approach to human-nature.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +33 (0)188.8.131.52.75
Fax: +33 (0)184.108.40.206.47
Web page: http://gretha.u-bordeaux4.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John O'Neill & Clive L. Spash, 2000. "Conceptions of Value in Environmental Decision-Making," Environmental Values, White Horse Press, vol. 9(4), pages 521-536, November.
- Greif, Avner, 1998. "Historical and Comparative Institutional Analysis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(2), pages 80-84, May.
- Paavola, Jouni, 2007. "Institutions and environmental governance: A reconceptualization," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 93-103, June.
- Noel Castree, 2008. "Neoliberalising nature: the logics of deregulation and reregulation," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 40(1), pages 131-152, January.
- Hall, Peter A. & Taylor, Rosemary C. R., 1996. "Political science and the three new institutionalisms," MPIfG Discussion Paper 96/6, Max Planck Institute for the Study of Societies.
- Ali Douai, 2009. "Value Theory in Ecological Economics: The Contribution of a Political Economy of Wealth," Environmental Values, White Horse Press, vol. 18(3), pages 257-284, August.
- John Gowdy & Jon D. Erickson, 2005.
"The approach of ecological economics,"
Cambridge Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 29(2), pages 207-222, March.
- Vatn, Arild, 2005. "Rationality, institutions and environmental policy," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 203-217, November.
- Olivier Godard, 2004.
"De la pluralité des ordres – Les problèmes d'environnement et de développement durable à la lumière de la théorie de la justification,"
Géographie, économie, société,
Lavoisier, vol. 6(3), pages 303-330.
- Olivier Godard, 2004. "De la pluralité des ordres, les problèmes d'environnement et de développement durable à la lumière de la théorie de la justification," Working Papers hal-00242925, HAL.
- Vatn Arild & Bromley Daniel W., 1994. "Choices without Prices without Apologies," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 129-148, March.
- John O'Neill, 2004. "Ecological economics and the politics of knowledge: the debate between Hayek and Neurath," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 28(3), pages 431-447, May.
- Ger Klaassen & David Pearce, 1995. "Introduction," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 5(2), pages 85-93, March.
- Zuindeau, Bertrand, 2007. "Regulation School and environment: Theoretical proposals and avenues of research," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 281-290, April.
- Bernard Billaudot, 2004. "Institutionnalismes, rationalisme et structuralisme en science sociale," Post-Print halshs-00105038, HAL.
- Becker, Christian, 2006. "The human actor in ecological economics: Philosophical approach and research perspectives," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 17-23, November.
- Soderbaum, Peter, 2007. "Issues of paradigm, ideology and democracy in sustainability assessment," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(3), pages 613-626, January.
- Clive L. Spash, 2008. "Deliberative Monetary Valuation and the Evidence for a New Value Theory," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 84(3), pages 469-488.
- Henrik Svedsäter, 2003. "Economic Valuation of the Environment: How Citizens Make Sense of Contingent Valuation Questions," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 79(1), pages 122-135.
- Ropke, Inge, 2005. "Trends in the development of ecological economics from the late 1980s to the early 2000s," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 262-290, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:grt:wpegrt:2009-12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Emmanuel Petit)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.