Population Aging and Legal Retirement Age
This paper analyzes the effects of population aging on the preferred legal retirement age. What is revealed is the crucial role that the indirect ’macro’ effects resulting from a change in the legal retirement age play in the optimal decision. Two Social Security systems are studied. Under a defined contribution scheme aging lowers the preferred legal retirement age. However, under a defined pension scheme the retirement age is delayed. This result shows the relevance of correctly choosing the parameter affected by the dependency ratio in the design of the Social Security programme.
|Date of creation:||16 Jun 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Campus Universitario de Cartuja|
Web page: http://www.ugr.es/local/teoriahe
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jonathan Gruber & David Wise, 1997. "Social Security Programs and Retirement Around the World: Introduction and Summary of Papers by..," NBER Working Papers 6134, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- J. Ignacio Conde-Ruiz & Vincenzo Galasso, 2003.
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 6(1), pages 12-36, January.
- Conde-Ruiz, J.I. & Galasso, V., 2000. "Early Retirement," Economics Working Papers eco2000/24, European University Institute.
- J. Ignacio Conde-Ruiz & Vincenzo Galasso, . "Early retirement," Working Papers 2003-03, FEDEA.
- Conde-Ruiz, José Ignacio & Galasso, Vincenzo, 2000. "Early Retirement," CEPR Discussion Papers 2589, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Andrew A. Samwick, 1998.
"New Evidence on Pensions, Social Security, and the Timing of Retirement,"
NBER Working Papers
6534, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Samwick, Andrew A., 1998. "New evidence on pensions, social security, and the timing of retirement," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 207-236, November.
- J. Ignacio Conde-Ruiz & Vincenzo Galasso, .
"The Macroeconomic of Early Retirement,"
194, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Bertrand Crettez & Patricia Le Maitre, 2002. "Optimal age of retirement and population growth," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 15(4), pages 737-755.
- Sheshinski, Eytan, 1978.
"A model of social security and retirement decisions,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 337-360, December.
- Eytan Sheshinski, 1977. "A Model of Social Security and Retirement Decisions," NBER Working Papers 0187, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- CREMER, Helmuth & PESTIEAU, Pierre, .
"Reforming our pension system: is it a demographic, financial or political problem?,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1468, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Cremer, Helmuth & Pestieau, Pierre, 2000. "Reforming our pension system: Is it a demographic, financial or political problem?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(4-6), pages 974-983, May.
- Cremer, Helmuth & Pestieau, Pierre, 2002.
"The Double Dividend of Postponing Retirement,"
IDEI Working Papers
144, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse, revised 2003.
- Kahn, James A., 1988. "Social security, liquidity, and early retirement," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 97-117, February.
- Vincent P. Crawford & David M. Lilien, 1981. "Social Security and the Retirement Decision," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 96(3), pages 505-529.
- J. Ignacio Conde-Ruiz & Vincenzo Galasso & Paola Profeta, .
"The Evolution of Retirement,"
- J. Ignacio Conde-Ruiz & Vincenzo Galasso & Paola Profeta, 2005. "The Evolution of Retirement," Working Papers 278, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Conde-Ruiz, José Ignacio & Galasso, Vincenzo & Profeta, Paola, 2005. "The Evolution of Retirement," CEPR Discussion Papers 4863, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- SveinbjÃ¶rn BlÃ¶ndal & Stefano Scarpetta, 1999. "The Retirement Decision in OECD Countries," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 202, OECD Publishing.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gra:wpaper:05/16. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angel Solano Garcia.)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.