Valuing American Derivatives by Least Squares Methods
Least Squares estimators are notoriously known to generate sub-optimal exercise decisions when determining the optimal stopping time. The consequence is that the price of the option will be underestimated. We show how to use variance reduction techniques to extend some recent Monte Carlo estimators for option pricing and assess their performance in finite samples. Finally, we extend the Longstaff and Schwartz (2001) method to price American options under stochastic volatility. This is the first study to implement and apply the Glasserman and Yu (2004b) methodology to price Asian options and basket options.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2008|
|Date of revision:||Sep 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Adam Smith Building, Glasgow G12 8RT|
Phone: 0141 330 4618
Fax: 0141 330 4940
Web page: http://www.gla.ac.uk/schools/business/research/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Boyle, Phelim & Broadie, Mark & Glasserman, Paul, 1997. "Monte Carlo methods for security pricing," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 21(8-9), pages 1267-1321, June.
- Mark Broadie & Menghui Cao, 2008. "Improved lower and upper bound algorithms for pricing American options by simulation," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(8), pages 845-861.
- Luciano Fratocchi & Alberto Onetti & Alessia Pisoni & Marco Talaia, 2007. "Location of value added activities in hi-tech industries. The case of pharma-biotech firms in Italy," Economics and Quantitative Methods qf0708, Department of Economics, University of Insubria.
- Philip Protter & Emmanuelle Clément & Damien Lamberton, 2002. "An analysis of a least squares regression method for American option pricing," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 6(4), pages 449-471.
- Cox, John C. & Ross, Stephen A. & Rubinstein, Mark, 1979. "Option pricing: A simplified approach," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 229-263, September.
- L. C. G. Rogers, 2002. "Monte Carlo valuation of American options," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(3), pages 271-286.
- Longstaff, Francis A & Schwartz, Eduardo S, 2001. "Valuing American Options by Simulation: A Simple Least-Squares Approach," University of California at Los Angeles, Anderson Graduate School of Management qt43n1k4jb, Anderson Graduate School of Management, UCLA.
- Lars Stentoft, 2004. "Assessing the Least Squares Monte-Carlo Approach to American Option Valuation," Review of Derivatives Research, Springer, vol. 7(2), pages 129-168, 08.