Valuation of life insurance surrender and exchange options
In this paper I analyze two American-type options related to life and pension insurance contract. I use Monte Carlo simulations combined with the Longstaff and Schwartz approach for the valuation of American options to find the value of a typical surrender option. I find that the values may be much lower than previously indicated. This reduction of value is due to a different treatment of bonuses, limiting the customers' ability to forecast the return of their policies. The numerical results show that the value may be higher than the corresponding surrender option.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Longstaff, Francis A & Schwartz, Eduardo S, 2001. "Valuing American Options by Simulation: A Simple Least-Squares Approach," University of California at Los Angeles, Anderson Graduate School of Management qt43n1k4jb, Anderson Graduate School of Management, UCLA.
- Laura Ballotta & Steven Haberman & Nan Wang, 2006. "Guarantees in With-Profit and Unitized With-Profit Life Insurance Contracts: Fair Valuation Problem in Presence of the Default Option," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 73(1), pages 97-121.
- Harrison, J. Michael & Kreps, David M., 1979. "Martingales and arbitrage in multiperiod securities markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 381-408, June.
- Bauer, Daniel & Kiesel, Rudiger & Kling, Alexander & Ru[ss], Jochen, 2006. "Risk-neutral valuation of participating life insurance contracts," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 171-183, October.
- Cummins, J. David & Miltersen, Kristian R. & Persson, Svein-Arne, 2004. "International Comparison of Interest Rate Guarantees in Life Insurance," Discussion Papers 2004/18, Department of Business and Management Science, Norwegian School of Economics.
- Philip Protter & Emmanuelle Clément & Damien Lamberton, 2002. "An analysis of a least squares regression method for American option pricing," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 6(4), pages 449-471.
- Miltersen, Kristian R. & Persson, Svein-Arne, 1999. "Pricing rate of return guarantees in a Heath-Jarrow-Morton framework," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 307-325, December.
- Guillen, Montserrat & Jorgensen, Peter Lochte & Nielsen, Jens Perch, 2006. "Return smoothing mechanisms in life and pension insurance: Path-dependent contingent claims," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 229-252, April.
- Eric Briys & Fran�ois De Varenne, 1994. "Life Insurance in a Contingent Claim Framework: Pricing and Regulatory Implications," The Geneva Risk and Insurance Review, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 19(1), pages 53-72, June.
- Lars Stentoft, 2004. "Convergence of the Least Squares Monte Carlo Approach to American Option Valuation," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(9), pages 1193-1203, September.
- Margrabe, William, 1978. "The Value of an Option to Exchange One Asset for Another," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 33(1), pages 177-86, March.
- Robert A. Jarrow, 2009. "The Term Structure of Interest Rates," Annual Review of Financial Economics, Annual Reviews, vol. 1(1), pages 69-96, November.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Grosen, Anders & Lochte Jorgensen, Peter, 2000. "Fair valuation of life insurance liabilities: The impact of interest rate guarantees, surrender options, and bonus policies," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 37-57, February.
- Cox, John C. & Ross, Stephen A. & Rubinstein, Mark, 1979. "Option pricing: A simplified approach," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 229-263, September.
- George Marsaglia & Wai Wan Tsang, . "The Ziggurat Method for Generating Random Variables," Journal of Statistical Software, American Statistical Association, vol. 5(i08).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:insuma:v:42:y:2008:i:3:p:909-919. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.