A New Tariff Database for Selected Least Developed Countries
This paper presents a new hand-gathered database on tariff rates for 18 least developed countries and Korea at the 4-digit level in HS 1988 and SITC revision 2. The database contains one observation per country and per decade starting from the 1970s to 2000/2002. Over time, the tariff schemes of the LDCs follow a symmetric bell-shaped distribution with low rates in the 1970s, which are raised in the 1980s, and then lowered or kept constant in the 1990s and substantially lowered in 2000/02. The analysis in the paper shows that the LDCs have already lowered their average tariff rates to those levels considered ‘optimal’ by many economists and that they have not shifted the protection over time, keeping the highest rates on labor-intensive and on medium skill manufactures and the lowest rates on mineral products.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2004|
|Date of revision:||Jun 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: ++41 22 731 17 30
Fax: ++41 22 738 43 06
Web page: http://www.graduateinstitute.ch/economics
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Francisco Rodriguez & Dani Rodrik, 1999.
"Trade Policy and Economic Growth: a Skeptic's Guide to the Cross-National Evidence,"
9912, Economic Research Forum, revised Apr 1999.
- Francisco Rodriguez & Dani Rodrik, 2001. "Trade Policy and Economic Growth: A Skeptic's Guide to the Cross-National Evidence," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 2000, Volume 15, pages 261-338 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rodríguez, Francisco & Rodrik, Dani, 1999. "Trade Policy and Economic Growth: A Sceptic's Guide to the Cross-National Evidence," CEPR Discussion Papers 2143, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Vamvakidis, Athanasios, 2002. " How Robust Is the Growth-Openness Connection? Historical Evidence," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 57-80, March.
- O'Rourke, K, 1997.
"Tariffs and Growth in the Late 19th Century,"
97/18, College Dublin, Department of Political Economy-.
- Robert E. Baldwin, 2004.
"Openness and Growth: What's the Empirical Relationship?,"
in: Challenges to Globalization: Analyzing the Economics, pages 499-526
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert E. Baldwin, 2003. "Openness and Growth: What's the Empirical Relationship?," NBER Working Papers 9578, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:rus:hseeco:121595 is not listed on IDEAS
- Rudiger Dornbusch, 1992. "The Case for Trade Liberalization in Developing Countries," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 6(1), pages 69-85, Winter.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gii:giihei:heiwp12-2006. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maria Sokolova)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.