Manufacturing export performance at the state level, 1963-1980
In the 1960s and 1970s international trade was increasingly important for employment and economic growth at the state level; however, scholarly research on the numerous issues concerning international trade and state economic activity is negligible. The present research uses a Heckscher-Ohlin-Vanek framework to examine the international trade performance of all fifty states for selected years between 1963 and 1980. A cross-section analysis generates specific conclusions concerning the determinants of manufacturing export performance at the state level. An extension of the analysis using pooled data generates specific conclusions concerning the determinants of manufacturing export performance and how these determinants changed throughout the period. Physical capital and human capital were statistically significant determinants throughout the period and the importance of these factors changed over time. The importance of physical capital decreased continuously, while the importance of human capital increased continuously.
|Date of creation:||1987|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 442, St. Louis, MO 63166|
Web page: http://www.stlouisfed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert Z. Lawrence, 1983. "Is Trade Deindustrializing America? A Medium-Term Perspective," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 14(1), pages 129-172.
- Baldwin, Robert E, 1971. "Determinants of the Commodity Structure of U.S. Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(1), pages 126-46, March.
- John R. Moroney & James M. Walker, 1966. "A Regional Test of the Heckscher-Ohlin Hypothesis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 74, pages 573.
- Leamer, Edward E & Bowen, Harry P, 1981. "Cross-Section Tests of the Heckscher-Ohlin Theorem: Comment [Factor Abundance and Comparative Advantage]," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(5), pages 1040-43, December.
- Gary Hufbauer, 1970. "The Impact of National Characteristics & Technology on the Commodity Composition of Trade in Manufactured Goods," NBER Chapters, in: The Technology Factor in International Trade, pages 145-231 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedlwp:1987-008. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna Xiao)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.