Does quantitative easing affect market liquidity?
The second round of large-scale asset purchases by the Federal Reserve—frequently referred to as QE2—included repeated purchases of Treasury inflation-protected securities (TIPS). To quantify the effect QE2 had on the functioning of the TIPS market and the related market for inflation swaps, we exploit the measure of combined liquidity premiums in TIPS yields and inflation swap rates derived by Christensen and Gillan (2012). We find that, on TIPS purchase dates, the liquidity premium dropped by 8 to 11 basis points depending on maturity, or about 50 percent. Furthermore, the effect was sustained on nonpurchase dates during most of the program, but dissipated towards its end.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 7702, San Francisco, CA 94120-7702|
Phone: (415) 974-2000
Fax: (415) 974-3333
Web page: http://www.frbsf.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joseph Haubrich & George Pennacchi & Peter Ritchken, 2012.
"Inflation Expectations, Real Rates, and Risk Premia: Evidence from Inflation Swaps,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 25(5), pages 1588-1629.
- Joseph G. Haubrich & George Pennacchi & Peter H. Ritchken, 2011. "Inflation expectations, real rates, and risk premia: evidence from inflation swaps," Working Paper 1107, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Jack Meaning & Feng Zhu, 2011. "The impact of recent central bank asset purchase programmes," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, December.
- Jens H. E. Christensen & Glenn D. Rudebusch, 2012.
"The response of interest rates to U.S. and U.K. quantitative easing,"
Working Paper Series
2012-06, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Jens H. E. Christensen & Glenn D. Rudebusch, 2012. "The Response of Interest Rates to US and UK Quantitative Easing," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 122(564), pages 385-414, November.
- Joseph E. Gagnon & Matthew Raskin & Julie Remache & Brian P. Sack, 2010.
"Large-scale asset purchases by the Federal Reserve: did they work?,"
441, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Joseph E. Gagnon & Matthew Raskin & Julie Remache & Brian P. Sack, 2011. "Large-scale asset purchases by the Federal Reserve: did they work?," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue May, pages 41-59.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedfwp:2013-26. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Noah Pollaczek)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.