What Kind of Job-broker is the Public Employment Service? Evidence from Finnish Job Vacancy Midrodata in 2002-2003
This study analyses the job-broking function of the Finnish Public Employment Service (PES). The empirical analysis is based on the Finnish job vacancy microdata in 2002 and 2003 including information on over 320,000 job vacancies each year. The open job vacancy period, the recruitment duration and various outcomes of the filling process are analysed mainly by applying logit regression estimations. As the duration of the recruitment process is of ultimate importance in taking into use the potential employment hidden into open job vacancies, the factors which have an effect on duration are analysed. Low risk for both long vacancy period and recruitment duration are found for job duration less than 3 months, filling the vacancy with PES job-seeker and using the job assignment. The effects of two alternative or additional policy methods, job assignments and job announcements are found consistent in all estimations: the more selective job assignment which may lead to sanctions for the job-seeker is much more effective when filling the vacancy with PES applicant than the job announcement of purely informative character, which seems to have little or no effect at all on the filling of vacancies. A policy conclusion is drawn to recommend cutting the excessive and costly use of announcements and to selectively increase the volume of assignments in cooperation with the employers.
|Date of creation:||14 Jan 2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Arkadiankatu 7, P.O. Box 1279, FI-00101 Helsinki|
Phone: +358 295 519 400
Fax: +358 295 519 599
Web page: http://www.vatt.fi/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Calmfors, Lars & Forslund, Anders & Hemström, Maria, 2002.
"Does active labour market policy work? Lessons from the Swedish experiences,"
Working Paper Series
2002:4, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Lars Calmfors & Anders Forslund & Maria Hemström, 2002. "Does Active Labour Market Policy Work? Lessons from the Swedish Experiences," CESifo Working Paper Series 675, CESifo Group Munich.
- Calmfors, Lars & Forslund, Anders & Hemström, Maria, 2002. "Does Active Labour Market Policy Work? Lessons from the Swedish Experiences," Seminar Papers 700, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Bunders, Markus, 2003. "Kohtaantofunktio suomalaisilla työmarkkinoilla vuosina 1988-2002 : alue- ja ammattiryhmien väliset erot kohtaannon tehokkuudessa," Research Discussion Papers 32/2003, Bank of Finland.
- John P. Martin, 1998.
"What Works Among Active Labour Market Policies: Evidence From OECD Countries' Experiences,"
OECD Labour Market and Social Policy Occasional Papers
35, OECD Publishing.
- John P Martin, 1998. "What Works Among Active Labour Market Policies: Evidence from OECD Countries' Experiences," RBA Annual Conference Volume, in: Guy Debelle & Jeff Borland (ed.), Unemployment and the Australian Labour Market Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Maria Teresa Gonzalo & Jan Saarela, 2001. "An evaluation of the management of the Finnish employment service," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(13), pages 1717-1725.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fer:dpaper:352. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anita Niskanen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.